Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7366 Discussions

Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 keeps losing connection to routers on 5 GHz band

EHenn2
Novice

Hi,

I have an Intel Nuc Windows 10 64-bit computer with Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 adapter (driver version 20.70.0.5, newest at the time of asking).

Every now and then the computer loses the connection to my 5 GHz wireless network. It happens most frequently when re-starting or waking up from hibernation, but it may happen at any time. After the connection has been lost the wireless network can't be found in the list of available networks. The 2.4 GHz network can still be found though. One, or a few restarts solves the issue temporarily.

I have tried with two different routers and have the same problem regardless. No other computers or devices on the network has these problems. This incluldes other Windows 10 64-bit computers.

Thankful for help.

Erik Henningsson

12 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello oss_erik,

Thank you for posting your inquiry in our Intel ® communities.

Please provide us me with the .txt file that the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-Best System Support Utility will generate. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

In order to assist you, please go ahead and uninstall completely all the current drivers, and install them again by following the instructions on this link (even if you already have the latest ones):

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Here is the link for the latest drivers:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27989/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?v=t

I hope to hear from you soon, please let us know the outcome.

Regards,

Diego S.

idata
Employee

Hello oss_erik,

We just wanted to double if you need further assistance?

Please don't hesitate on contacting us back.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
EHenn2
Novice

Hello Diego,

Thank you for the help!

I have followed your guide and am now finding out if it works. There has been one week without problems so far. However, even before there were sometimes problem free weeks so I can't yet decide if the the complete driver re-installation worked.

I will let you know if I experience the problems again or in a few weeks if I haven't experienced any problems.

Best Regards

/Erik

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello oss_erik,

Thank you for your response.

I understand, keep me posted.

I will monitor this thread for around 5 days so we can make sure that we will cover any other possible issue.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello oss_erik,

We just wanted to double check if you need further assistance?

Please don't hesitate on contacting us back.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
EHenn2
Novice

Hello Diego,

Thank you for monitoring this thread.

To recap: I performed the unistallations and reinstallations.

The problem still persists. It has happened twice in the last two weeks. Please find attached the System Support Utility log you asked for.

Best Regards,

Erik Henningsson

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello oss_erik,

Thank you for your keeping us posted, I understand that then issue remains and that you have tested multiple routers and machines.

For testing purposes please go ahead and try our https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity in both routers.

I hope to hear from you soon, please let us know the outcome.

Regards,

Diego Sanchez Campos.

Intel (R) Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation

0 Kudos
EHenn2
Novice

Hi Diego,

I checked the settings you linked. The settings in the problematic computer were already the recommended ones. The same is true for the router I am currently using. With two exceptions:

1. Channel width is set to 80 MHz and it doesn't seem to be an option to set it to allow all channel widths.
  2. Wireless mode is set to 11ac and it doesn't seem to be an option to set it to allow all all wireless modes.

Are these two options important for the current issues? The other router I borrowed from a friend and it is quite a hassle to get it again. Is it really necesary?

To summarize. The link you sent didn't result in any changes. How should we move forward?

Best Regards

/Erik

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello oss_erik,

Thank you for your response.

Let us investigate further this; I will reach you back as soon as possible.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Diego Sanchez Campos.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello oss_erik,

Thank you for your patience

Based on the description of your issue (last updates from your end) and the troubleshooting done, chances are that you are going to have your unit replaced (Wireless portion of your device might be damaged)

You can check the warranty of your device typing it's markings in our https://supporttickets.intel.com/warrantyinfo Online Service Center

If you experience problems identifying your markings, you can use the following link for help.

You can contact our https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html live support for a replacement if needed in order to expedite your request.

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Diego Sanchez Campos.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello oss_erik,

We just wanted to double check if you need further assistance?

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
EHenn2
Novice

Hi Diego,

I have contacted the Intel customer support and am waiting for their analysis.

Thank you for your help!

Best Regards,

Erik Henningsson

0 Kudos