Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1346 Discussions

Intel Optane + HDD seen as One HDD

JScar
Beginner

Hi.

When I Enabled Intel Optane in Intel RST, then restarted my computer, Defraggler sees the Accelerated drive as an just one HDD, and in Task Manager, it sees it as "1.8TB HDD+Intel Optane" what did I do Wrong?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hi 800Necrozma,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

You didn't do anything wrong, actually that's how the Intel® Optane™ Memory should appear when it has been paired with a HDD. You will see now one drive as you described, so everything is properly configured.

Once you enabled the Intel® Optane™ Memory, both the module and the drive appear as one SSD volume in the OS. As a result, the options for defrag aren't available.

You can be sure that everything is working fine, so you don't have to be worried.

I hope this information clarifies your concern.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You did nothing wrong. Ignore Defraggler.

Doc

JScar
Beginner

but thats before i reinstalled windows, when i reinstalled windows, Defraggler now sees it as an SSD and now i cannot defrag the HDD.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

When the optane and hdd are paired, you cannot defrag them, not with defraggler and not with the windows defrag.

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi 800Necrozma,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

You didn't do anything wrong, actually that's how the Intel® Optane™ Memory should appear when it has been paired with a HDD. You will see now one drive as you described, so everything is properly configured.

Once you enabled the Intel® Optane™ Memory, both the module and the drive appear as one SSD volume in the OS. As a result, the options for defrag aren't available.

You can be sure that everything is working fine, so you don't have to be worried.

I hope this information clarifies your concern.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
JScar
Beginner

You Don't understand, in the past, when I enabled optane, the memory module and the SATA drive was recognised as one HDD volume, not an SSD Volume.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi 800Necrozma,

That's fine too. The difference may be because there are new versions of the Intel® Optane™ application and drivers, but you don't have to be worried. The Intel® Optane™ Memory should work fine.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos