Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

The Gemini Lake ( UHD 605) supports HDR?

ДДеми
Beginner

The Gemini Lake ( UHD 605) supports HDR?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, DenisDA.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reach the Intel® Communities Team.

I understand you would like to know if the Gemini Lake Intel® UHD 605 supports HDR.

Allow me to verify if this information is available. Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, DenisDA.

Thank you very much for your patience.

Allow me to share with you that the Gemini Lake does not suppoort HDR.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
Mdrodge
Beginner

High Dynamic Range (HDR) Support

Documentation

Product Information & Documentation

11/20/2019

This document explains High Dynamic Range (HDR) technologies and provides details on HDR support on Intel® Graphics platforms running Windows® 10. The intended audience includes PC users and consumers looking for a full HDR viewing experience on these platforms.

Technical White Paper (PDF) 

Mdrodge_0-1617627002840.gif

Supporting 7th Gen Intel® Core™ Processor and Newer Platforms

File name: HDR_Intel_Graphics_TechWhitePaper.pdf
Size: 590 KB
Date: November 2017
Revision: 1.0

0 Kudos
Mdrodge
Beginner

So apart from YOU saying it doesn't support it the main bulk of information does not seem to agree.

The UHD 605 can use quicksync to transcode or encode 4k HDR 10bit according to my testing so i see no reason why it can't display HDR.

This seems more like a artificial limitation but since it's one that is poorly documented I'd suggest we have been lied to, false advertising and confusing product names are to blame.

I've build the machine now and it's to late to say something isn't supported when your own product page says it's been supported since 7th gen.

This is a 2019 product.... WTF are you playing at.

I've build a media centre machine that can't display my media but it capable of rendering it in real time using its gpu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
Mdrodge
Beginner

"Supporting 7th Gen Intel® Core™ Processor and Newer Platforms"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anything newer than 2017 should support HDR according to your own product page.

I've been mis-sold to and I've build a system around it that doesn't do what you've claimed it will on your own product page so I've go grounds for legal action.

I have a j5040 and I was under the impression it was a 2019 design, I build it to perform 1 role..... display content with low power consumption.

(this is going to make quite an interesting YouTube video isn't it)

0 Kudos
Mdrodge
Beginner

ASRock J5040-ITX motherboard with Passively Cooled Quad Core 64-bit 2GHz (3.2GHz Burst) Pentium Silver J5040 Gemini Lake Refresh 14nm processor with VT-x support and integrated Intel UHD 605 Graphics with 10-bit HEVC Acceleration. Up to 32GB of system memory*; 4x SATA 6Gb/s; PCI-E x1 Slot; Realtek RTL8111H Gigabit Ethernet; Realtek ALC892 High Definition 7.1 Channel Audio with S/PDIF Out. Windows 10 64-bit driver support.

Says there that it supports 10-bit HEVC Acceleration!!!!!!

That's how my HDR is packaged but because of misleading advertising what you are not saying is that i can enable a 10-bit screen mode.

So I have 2 items of clear evidence here and I need a resolution.

0 Kudos
Mdrodge
Beginner

Intel UHD 605 Graphics: 18 EUs inside (Up to 800MHz); Supports DirectX 12, OpenGL 4.4, OGL ES 3.1, OpenCL 1.2. Supports HEVC 10-bit Decoding/Encoding to provide substantially improved video quality and higher bit depth video experience.

Hardware accelerated Encode/Decode: HEVC (H.265) 8-bit, HEVC (H.265) 10 bit, H.264 @ Lvl5.2 (AVC), JPEG/MJPEG, VP8, VP9 8-bit. Additionally supports VP9 10-bit Hardware Decode. Triple Monitor Support. HDCP and Full HD 1080p Blu-Ray playback supported on DVI-D and HDMI ports.

"higher bit depth video experience"!!!!

So that's 10-bit display mode isn't it???????????????????????????

0 Kudos
Mdrodge
Beginner
Vertical Segment
Mobile
Processor Number 
J5040
Status
Launched
Launch Date 
Q4'19
Lithography 
14 nm
Use Conditions 
PC/Client/Tablet

CPU Specifications

# of Cores 
# of Threads 
Processor Base Frequency 
2.00 GHz
Burst Frequency 
3.20 GHz
Cache 
4 MB
TDP 
10 W

Supplemental Information

Embedded Options Available 
No

Memory Specifications

Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 
8 GB
Memory Types 
DDR4/LPDDR4 upto 2400 MT/s
Max # of Memory Channels 
ECC Memory Supported  
No

Processor Graphics

Processor Graphics  
Intel® UHD Graphics 605
Graphics Base Frequency 
250 MHz
Graphics Burst Frequency
800 MHz
Graphics Video Max Memory 
8 GB
Graphics Output 
eDP/DP/HDMI/MIPI-DSI
Execution Units 
4K Support 
Yes, at 60Hz
Max Resolution (HDMI) 
4096x2160@30Hz
Max Resolution (DP)‡ 
4096x2160@60Hz
Max Resolution (eDP - Integrated Flat Panel)‡ 
4096x2160@60Hz
DirectX* Support 
OpenGL* Support 
Intel® Quick Sync Video 
Yes
# of Displays Supported 
Device ID
0x3184

Expansion Options

PCI Express Revision 
PCI Express Configurations  
1x4 + 1x2 or 4x1 or 2x1+1x2 + 1x2
Max # of PCI Express Lanes 

I/O Specifications

# of USB Ports
USB Revision 
2.0/3.0
Total # of SATA Ports 
Integrated LAN 
No
Integrated Wireless
Intel® Wireless-AC MAC
General Purpose IO
Yes
UART
Yes
Max # of SATA 6.0 Gb/s Ports

Package Specifications

Sockets Supported 
FCBGA1090
Max CPU Configuration
TJUNCTION 
105°C
Package Size
25mm x 24mm

Advanced Technologies

Intel® Optane™ Memory Supported  
No
Intel® Speed Shift Technology 
No
Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0  
No
Intel® Turbo Boost Technology  
No
Intel vPro® Platform Eligibility  
No
Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology  
No
Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x)  
Yes
Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d)  
Yes
Intel® VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT)  
Yes
Intel® 64  
Yes
Instruction Set 
64-bit
Instruction Set Extensions 
Intel® SSE4.2
Idle States 
Yes
Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology 
Yes
Thermal Monitoring Technologies 
Yes
Intel® Identity Protection Technology  
Yes
Intel® Smart Response Technology 
No

Security & Reliability

Intel® AES New Instructions 
Yes
Secure Key 
Yes
Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX) 
Yes with Intel® ME
Intel® Memory Protection Extensions (Intel® MPX) 
Yes
Execute Disable Bit  
Yes
Anti-Theft Technology 
No
Intel® OS Guard
Yes
0 Kudos
Mdrodge
Beginner

Remember how AMD lost a class action law suit for describing there "8 core" FX cpu's as 8 core........

Deliver an increased bit depth video experience like it says in your marketing or offer replacement product that does that or you to will be liable. 

0 Kudos
Mdrodge
Beginner

https://youtu.be/2hg2o8j2Z8s

I said I'd post a Video on YouTube.

1k views and counting (let's hope I can go viral)

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Not interested.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
Bryce_Intel

Hey @Mdrodge 

Bryce here, I’ll preface with you’ve said a LOT and I want to address those concerns but ‘read to the end for the good part’. I reviewed your case and turns out technically our literature is correct. It talks about HDR being supported on ‘Core’ products [Supporting 7th Gen Intel® Core™ Processor and Newer Platforms], because HDR is supported on our Core products. So, 7th Gen or newer includes 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th or greater, but doesn’t include our non-Core products that don’t have a Gen number, unfortunately for you like Gemini Lake. I will however take this opportunity to improve the document and make it clearer thanks to your feedback. I've submitted a change request to add "Core" to the title as “Newer Core Platforms”, and added further clarification as “non-Core products may not support HDR, for HDR support please use only Core products” [or something to that effect] added to the whitepaper.

Before purchasing any components, please please please, we always strongly recommend users conduct adequate research, including reviewing product specs and capabilities. Further, if you or anyone else have any questions specific to the hardware in consideration, reach out to your fellow peers and our agents in our Intel Graphics Communities.

Regarding 10-bit mode support, we currently do not have a method to allow manual selection between 8-bit and 10-bit modes. The drivers are coded to always use the highest available, so if the requirements stars align with hardware and software, then it is coded to choose the highest capable by default. Last I heard we are working on manual selection capability within the Intel Graphics Command Center.

I also saw you had some confusion on 10bit vs HDR. They are different and one doesn’t mean the other, meaning just because a system supports 10bit, doesn’t mean it automatically supports HDR. I found this forum where it’s explained pretty well. Is HDR and 10 bit same thing? - Displays - Linus Tech Tips <- This is a 3rd party link and I'm only providing it for reference, there's no affiliation.

Buuut, with all that said, let me just say - I’ve been there man; arduously putting together a PC just to realize there’s limitations or that I need yet SOMETHING else to make it work how I want. I remember jumping through hoops getting a shiny new video card (wayyy back in the day), just to find out the game I wanted to play needed a different one, it’s sooo frustrating!! Aaaarg! I don’t want you to be left without a way to watch your HDR content, so, as my heartfelt way of showing some fellow HTPC enthusiast compassion and some Intel love, I’ve scoured Intel to find a TigerLake NUC that will run as an awesome HTPC, if you want it. The model is NUC11TNHi5 if you want to look it up. If that meets your needs, let me know and we can DM and I’ll find a way to get it to you gratis. This is a rare occurrence where things lined up so I can’t always help in this way (you’re actually the only one), but since this worked out, hope it helps get ya up and running watching some epic movies in 4K HDR. At the very least hoping it’ll hold ya over till you can return the Gemini Lake and update to a Core CPU that supports HDR.

Thanks for being an Intel customer and helping improve Intel products!

.:Bryce:.

0 Kudos
Mdrodge
Beginner

Oh wow...........

Sweet. that would be so good (didn't check the spec yet but nuc's are awsome)

There was no way i could afford an upgrade at the moment and a return seems unlikely.

I'm blown away by this. 

Let me know what i need to do to take you up on that.

(I'm a long time subscriber of LTT, I've seen the video 🙂 )

I agree that research is important when building systems and since no where could i find the information i needed the only clue i had to go on was the whole "increased bit depth viewing thing" 

Updating the White Paper like you mentioned from "newer platforms" to "newer Core platforms" solves this issue for anyone else and well i'm sure you can guess how i'd feel about a Tiger Lake NUC 🙂

0 Kudos
Bryce_Intel
0 Kudos
Mdrodge
Beginner

Thanks Bryce.

I'm blown away by your response and very happy with the outcome off all of this.

0 Kudos