Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Determine the internal RealSense Camera - F200 or SR300?

ARick2
Beginner

Hi,

Since the last Windows update Hello won't initialize the Intel RealSense internal camera to logon.

The applications using the camera wouldn't work either.

I solved the latter problem by deleting the RealSense driver and allowing a hardware-scan to rediscover it and install a driver, but there's a mismatch between Lenovo support information and the driver installed.

Windows installs the SR300 RealSense driver.

But Lenovo support asks me to install the F200 RealSense driver (and this installation is rejected during the firmware update, which is mandatory).

How can I determine which of the two cameras is used internally in my Lenovo Desktop?

I tried using the SSU.exe utility from Intel but this only showed information about the cpu amd nothing about the Intel camera hardware.

The Lenovo PC is an Ideacenter all-in-one (AIO910-27ISH)

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The hardware maintenance document for that model lists the RealSense camera as being an F200 on page 49.

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/desktop_pub/ic_aio_910_hmm_20160426.pdf https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/desktop_pub/ic_aio_910_hmm_20160426.pdf

0 Kudos
ARick2
Beginner

I agree that's what's documented. But Windows installs the SR300 driver and the F200 driver install wizard refuses while attempting the firmware update. (error code -4)

So I wondered if the docu is wrong and hoped there was a tool for reading the camera's properties directly.

Is there a way of installing the driver without a firmware update?

The option is shown but I can't move to the next screen in the F200 install wizard without first selecting firmware update.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

You may be able to find out which RealSense camera is installed without having to install the drivers if you open the Windows Device Manager and look in the 'Sound, video and game controllers' category. If the camera shows up in that, it should have a different entry for each camera model. On my PC, the following info is shown depending on which camera is attached:

F200

Creative VF0800

SR300

BlasterX Senz3D VF0810

0 Kudos
ARick2
Beginner

I researched and discovered that Windows uses an ID that it can read from the device to determine the driver.

By deleting the driver and letting Windows discover and install the SR300 was confirmed.

I also performed a Recover on the Lenovo PC so that the driver was installed from the Lenovo image and this also installed the SR300 driver.

So the lenovo documentation is wrong in this case, and also the file available on the Lenovo support site. I guess that's why the firmware update failed (F200 didn't match the SR300 device).

The answer is: remove the driver and rely on Windows discovering and install the driver. Still, it's a shame Intel doesn't have a utility to read and display the information to avoid this hit n miss method.

0 Kudos