Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

When will Meltdown and Spectre fixes be available for Sandy Bridge and DQ77KB?

PQure
Beginner

I have numerous Sandy/Ivy Bridge CPUs, and some Intel motherboards including a DQ77KB. This board had an update for the Management Engine vulernabilities last year, but no sign of fixes for Meltdown and Spectre.

Intel said there would be fixes by the end of the month. The month has ended, it's February now. Where are the patches and BIOS updates?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Unfortunately, due to the side-effects discovered in the microcode update for Spectre, Intel had to reset their schedules. I am still awaiting an update regarding the Desktop Boards.

...S

0 Kudos
PQure
Beginner

Exploits are in the wild now. Your customers need information and certainly, or replacement CPUs.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Updates on the schedules for boards and systems can be found here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026620/mini-pcs.html INTEL-SA-00088 Schedule for Intel NUC, Compute Stick and Compute Card

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026630/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards.html INTEL-SA-00088 Schedule for Intel Desktop Boards

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026622/server-products.html INTEL-SA-00088 Schedule for Intel Server Boards, Systems and Accessories

You will just have to watch for them being updated...

...S

0 Kudos
PQure
Beginner

The link provides no useful information at all. In fact, here is the entire desktop board notice:

Last Reviewed: 23-Jan-2018

Article ID: 000026630

In response to the recent Intel Security Advisory regarding Software/Side Channel Analysis, Kernel Memory Leak, we're investigating the options for providing BIOS updates to fix this issue.

You have known about this for at least 8 months now.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"The link provides no useful information at all."

INCORRECT. The link says that the issue is being addressed and includes your motherboard.

Patience is required. And, some courtesy toward those who are trying to help.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You are absolutely right; they say nothing right now. I told you that ahead of that message. Intel had to recall the microcode updates for SpectreB due to a stability issue. They announced the other day that the issue had been root-caused and that the updated microcode is currently being validated. Once this is complete and the microcode is ready for distribution to board manufacturers, the Intel product teams will publish their schedules for delivering BIOS updates for their products. By "publish their schedules", I mean update these web pages with real dates; that's why I said watch these pages.

...S

0 Kudos
PQure
Beginner

I've started discussions with Intel about a financial resolution to this. Even if they eventually produce a microcode fix, the Meltdown patches at OS level have crippled my systems' performance to a completely unacceptable level.

0 Kudos