Items with no label
3335 Discussions

RealSense MIPI Host on Raspberry Pi (For non USB3.0 Hosts)

KSitk
Beginner

Hi,

I'm very interested in using RealSense with a Raspberry Pi, however as I've read throughout the previous discussions RealSense requires USB3.0, a feature which is not present on any current Raspberry Pi's. However reading through the data sheet for the D4 Vision Processor I couldn't help but noticed that there was a configuration shown for the D4 to communicate with the host using a MIPI Interface.

The Raspberry Pi compute has a 4-lane MIPI CSI-2 interface. I have not seen this brought up in any conversations about Raspberry Pi compatibility or suitability as a host for RealSense, so I can't help but ask is this a current supported feature? If so are there drivers which would allow me to make full use of the capabilities of a D4 connected to a D410 Depth Module on a Raspberry Pi using 4x CSI-2?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Intel has produced a guide for using the 400 Series cameras with Raspberry Pi 3 Model B.

https://github.com/IntelRealSense/librealsense/blob/master/doc/RaspberryPi3.md librealsense/RaspberryPi3.md at master · IntelRealSense/librealsense · GitHub

Regarding MIPI, Intel have decided not to support customisations of the 400 Series.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Intel has produced a guide for using the 400 Series cameras with Raspberry Pi 3 Model B.

https://github.com/IntelRealSense/librealsense/blob/master/doc/RaspberryPi3.md librealsense/RaspberryPi3.md at master · IntelRealSense/librealsense · GitHub

Regarding MIPI, Intel have decided not to support customisations of the 400 Series.

0 Kudos
KSitk
Beginner

I've read that guide, but a resolution of 424x240 is abysmal compared to the full spec. I understand that intel isn't willing to open source the firmware nor is it open to having additional camera modules and what not. But I'm rather disappointed to see them not support outputting data from their modules over MIPI when the DSP seems to have the hardware capability. I fail to see how that can be considered 'Customization' when it is just another I/O output which is capable of carrying the end signal solution to a host.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

My understanding is that whilst the D4 has MIPI, its purpose was to work with a tracking module that was cancelled, so the need for Intel to develop firmware support for that connector was removed when the tracking module was removed.

0 Kudos
AustinC
Beginner

Hi all.  I was wondering if there had been any update on D4 MIPI support over the past few years.  We would very much like to use MIPI as the high speed interface back to the host instead of USB.  Has there been any progress on implementing this interface, referenced in the documentation but apparently never realized in practice?

Thanks!

AustinC

0 Kudos