Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Monitor coming in and out of standby when power plan settings kick in

HMahm
Beginner

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

I am having issue where my monitor, after being turned off by Windows due to the power plan settings, continuously comes in and out of standby. At this point the computer is not asleep. This does not happen when the computer does fall asleep, and the monitor goes to standby as expected in that case.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Intel NUC NUC5i5RYH

<span style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0p...

0 Kudos
21 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello hmahmood,

I understand that you are having problems with a device as it keeps going in and out of the "Stand By" with the monitor.

Regarding this, I was double-checking what could be causing the problem and there are several things that we may be able to test to check and isolate the problem. First, please attempt to connect the monitor with a different cable, this is to discard a possible cable issue. Second, if possible, please attempt to connect the unit to a different monitor to check if the issue happens with both monitors.

Let us know the outcome of trying those two steps please.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello hmahmood,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
HMahm
Beginner

Hi David,

Thanks for looking into this. Using a different displayport cable gives me the same result. Trying a different monitor would be difficult for me since I have only one monitor with a displayport input.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello hmahmood,

Thank you for your response,

I understand that it is difficult to try a different monitor, however it is quite important to try another one to test the troubleshooting. Perhaps you can attempt with a different connection and another monitor, HDMI for example.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello hmahmood,

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
HMahm
Beginner

I did try with a monitor that has a DVI-D connection. So this was going through a displayport to DVI converter, and things seemed OK. I have not been able to test with another monitor with a displayport connection.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello hmahmood,

According to your details, after using a different monitor it stopped giving you the issue. If that is the case then it seems to be related to either a hardware issue with the monitor or a hardware issue with the HDMI port.

In order to test to check the best is to try with a different HDMI port, of course I understand that it is complicated to get one for testing purposes. Nevertheless it does not seem to be related with the processor or the graphics controller for that matter.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
HMahm
Beginner

I wouldn't be so sure of that at this point. For one thing there is no audio involved. I am also using a converter. I can likely get my hands on a monitor this weekend, so will update here after I do a test.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello hmahmood,

Yes, please let us know the outcome whenever it is possible so we can determine and be 100% sure what the issue is or which part is giving you the problem.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello hmahmood,

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
HMahm
Beginner

Hi David,

I did some more experiments and it looks like this behavior only happens in two cases:

1. When the screensaver functionality in Windows engages. After that happens once, when the monitor is turned off by the power plan, this behavior always happens. I turned off the screen saver after a computer restart, and everything behaves as expected (i.e. the monitor stays in standby).

2. When the computer goes to sleep. After I take it out of sleep, I get this behavior again, and it does not go back to normal until I restart the NUC.

I am not sure what the difference between the turn off monitor feature in the power plan and the screensaver/sleep is. But whatever it is, seems to trigger something in my setup that is not reset until I restart the NUC.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What screensaver did you have enabled?

0 Kudos
HMahm
Beginner

It was the "None" option, and I had it to where it would lock the screen when coming out the screen saver.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Hhmmm, ok, I thought "None" meant no screen saver....

0 Kudos
HMahm
Beginner

Here's the setup I had. It would basically blank out the screen after 5 minutes and on keyboard/mouse activity I would have log in again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello hmahmood,

What I would recommend to do in a case like this is to re-install the operating system with a freshly created image. This is because it seems to be a windows issue and not really a graphics driver problem.

So please, if possible proceed to do a re-installation of the operating system so that we can see if that resolves the problem or not.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
HMahm
Beginner

Just reinstalled Windows. Its still happening. Note that I have not installed the latest drivers; this is whatever came with Windows 10 pro or whatever was downloaded during the install.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello hmahmood,

I would like you to try and update the drivers. Also, please attempt to connect the system to a different monitor via display port since you mentioned before you were going to test it. This is just to be sure if it is a hardware problem or else a monitor issue.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
HMahm
Beginner

Drivers are all up to date. No dice.

I did try booting into Ubuntu from a USB stick and the problem did not happen there. I really think this is a software issue. I am not a driver developer so I am not sure if this is Windows or the driver. If you need more data from my system I am willing to provide it, but at this point I am not sure what else to try. Testing with a different monitor is a problem since I don't have another monitor with a DisplayPort.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello hmahmood,

I understand your position, nevertheless, since you already tried a different connection which was the DVI and it gave you no problems it does not seem to be a driver-related issue. What you could try to do if applicable is to update/recover the BIOS of the unit.

Please download this ".bio" file.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27631/BIOS-Update-RYBDWi35-86A-?product=83255 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27631/BIOS-Update-RYBDWi35-86A-?product=83255

Follow these steps:

BIOS Recovery by the Power Button Menu

1. Download the Recovery BIOS (.BIO) file. Example:

2. Copy the recovery file (*.BIO) to a USB device.

3. Plug the device into a USB port of the target computer when it's turned Off.

4. Press and hold the power button down for 3 seconds, then release it.

5. The Power Button menu appears.

6. Press F4 to start the BIOS recovery.

7. Wait 2–5 minutes for the update to complete.

8. The computer turns off when the recovery process is complete, or it prompts you to turn it off.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos