Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20501 Discussions

Black screen on Lenovo Ideapad 100-15IBD i5 after Intel HD Graphics 5500 installation

AStoi2
Beginner

Hi Intel team,

Please help with this issue:

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

New Windows 10 1709 OS with latest CU (10.0.16299.214) no matter what driver I have installed until now, the screen will remain black after the Windows logo disappears during the boot.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Lenovo Ideapad 100-15IBD, specifically:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ro/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/100-series/100-15ibd/80qq/80qq00r1ri/pf0i53ye/downloads https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ro/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/100-series/100-15ibd/80qq/80qq00r1ri/pf0i53ye/downloads

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Just IGPU.

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

LFP, I use only the laptop panel.

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

4GB

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.

ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

Nothing else involved, the setup is as vanilla as possible.

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1616&SUBSYS_382A17AA&REV_09 

<s...

0 Kudos
9 Replies
CParr3
Beginner

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue. Just black screened on my Daughter. (Presume had done an update).

• Restored Laptop using Lenovo software and goes to about 53% and errors
  • Restored using Windows 10 Home DVD and install (Both versions of Win 10, and same issues below occur with both versions)
    • Install windows updates, (Black screen, wont boot back up requires system restore)
    • Restore - Turn off Windows update service, install Lenovo specific Video driver, (Black screen, wont boot back up requires system restore)
    • Restore - Turn off Windows update service, download & install Intel specific Video driver , (Black screen, wont boot back up requires system restore)
    • Restore - Turn off Windows update service, download install Intel update tool, install recommended driver, (Black screen, wont boot back up requires system resto

• Now have to leave Windows Updates off as you cant choose which updates you can install form Microsoft

Tech info

Laptop: IdeaPad 100-15IBD 

RAM: 8GB

Error: igdkmd64.sys (See screen shot below)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello andreiztm and Sparx

Thank you for joining the community

We are going to investigate the case

Please let me know if you have the same problem installing other OS version besides Windows® 10?

Sparx cloud you please attach fill up the information on the following link

/thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
CParr3
Beginner

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Any drivers apart from the Basic windows driver causes the PC to Black Screen and reboot in to recovery mode. The only way then is to use system recovery to get it to work as a basic system. It doesn't matter if you use Windows update, Intel Update or try and install the driver from Intel site, the PC just crashes. I get the error igdkm64.sys error (see attached screen shot)

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")</span>

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):</span>

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Lenovo Ideapad 100-15IBD

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

LFP

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

<td style="border-top: none; border-left: none; border-bottom: solid windowtext 1.0pt; border-right: solid window...
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you, both for your response and the information provided,

We are going to investigate the case and post back on the thread as soon as news become available

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
JBind1
Beginner

I have this laptop in my possession and it is the exact same symptoms as reported below. The laptop belongs to a friend who had it go black screen around mid-November.

It was running Windows 10 (I assume latest build\current updates). She sent it away for warranty and they held it for 2 months without fixing it. They claimed it was a hardware issue and refused to fix it. I obtained it and put a brand new SSD drive in and installed Windows 10. It booted up fine and installed Windows until the updates, where the black screen happened. I wiped the drive and reinstalled Windows again and disabled updates. I then tried using Lenovo's auto-driver installer, to which caused a black screen. I wiped and reinstalled Windows 10 with Updates off (paused) and installed drivers manually. Once I got to the Intel HD 5500 VGA driver, it caused the black screen. I googled that issue and came across this thread.

I then figured it was a Windows 10 issue, so I wiped the drive and installed Windows 7. It was the same scenario where it Black Screens once the Intel VGA drivers are installed.

The BIOS was updated to the latest version before I got to it, so I'm following this thread to hope others mention this is a problem and Intel/Lenovo release a fix.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello cKyw00t

Thank you for joining the community.

Could you provide us with more information about your system by filling up the information on the following link?

/thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Let us know what versions of drivers have you tired

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your response.

We can try these steps to update the graphics driver:

Since your system is a laptop it is recommended to use the manufacturer drivers, you can try to use the generic drivers
  1. Please set the resolution on the display to 1366 x 768 @ 60Hz
  2. Boot the system in safe mode to uninstall the graphics driver (if you have any install) following these steps:
    1. On the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R, then type in devmgmt.msc
    2. Expand the Display Adapters section.
    3. Find the Intel® Graphics Driver. The driver can also be called the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver (Intel® GMA Driver).
    4. Right-click the Intel Graphics Driver and select Uninstall.
    5. Select the checkbox "Delete' the driver software for this device.
    6. Reboot the computer after the uninstall process has finished.
  3. Please follow these steps in order to update the generic graphics driver from Intel:
    1. Download the graphics driver ZIP file: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27267/a08/win64_154037.4835.zip https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27267/a08/win64_154037.4835.zip
    2. Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.
    3. Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.
    4. Click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.
    5. Expand the Display adapters section.
    6. Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.
    7. Click "Browse my computer for driver software".
    8. Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
    9. Click "Have Disk".
    10. Click "Browse".
    11. Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".
    12. Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh".
    13. Click Open, then click OK, and finally click "Next". Drivers are now being installed.
    14. Reboot your computer.

1. If these drivers did not solve the issue you can refer to the following link to find the manufacturer graphics driver
    1. https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/cr/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/100-series/100-15ibd/80qq/80qq00r1ri/pf0i53ye/downloads https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/cr/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/100-series/100-15ibd/80qq/80qq00r1ri/pf0i53ye/downloads
  2. If these driver updates dot help in these case please refer to the manufacturer to replicate the situation with the same system
    1. https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/cr/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/100-series/100-15ibd/80qq/80qq00r1ri/pf0i53ye/contactus https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/cr/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/100-series/100-15ibd/80qq/80qq00r1ri/pf0i53ye/contactus
Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
CParr3
Beginner

Hi Leonardo,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried all the items you have suggested, but i'm afraid, I still get exactly the same result. Screen goes black, flashes, and then eventually reboots with recovery options, and then you have to do a system restore. I have attached a screen shot of the error

Regards

Chris

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Sparx

Thank you for your response.

We recommend contacting Lenovo customer support for them to replicate the situation using the same system and the drivers built for the Lenovo system, due to that the driver provided previously is the generic driver for your graphics controller, the drivers form the manufacturer are built for your system and you have tested them; both provide the same result.

Regards.

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos