Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Disable Intel display power saving technology in plugged in mode?

CPete6
Beginner

I have a problem here.

I'm a digital artist, and i recently got a new Laptop with intel hd graphics.

What the display power saving technology basically does is lower the screen brightness when the image onscreen is already dark, and turn the brightness up whenever there is a bright image. What the point exactly to this is i really, really dont know, it seems pretty backwards to me, but thats beside the point here.

So, as you can imagine, while doing digital art its INCREDIBLY irritating to constantly have your screen brightness changing, and utterly pointless to turn down the brightness when youre working in dark areas of your image. Not to mention, most art programs like photoshop, krita, or medibang all have dark layout themes, so the screen brightness goes down even more often.

So here lies the problem:

In the power settings theres two tabs, battery mode and plugged in mode

in battery mode, the option to turn off the power saving thing is there and works fine, i have it disabled.

but in plugged in mode, the option to turn it on/off is missing, but its still activated by default

Is there any known way to turn it off in plugged in mode?? ive looked thru countless forums , reinstalled my drivers, everything, and no hope in sight.

heres some pictures (sorry for the german, "Display-Energiespartechnologie" means display power saving technology):

the bottom tab is plugged in mode, as you can see the option is missing, and i even have everything set to max performance.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
AMART53
Beginner

Hi,

I got the same problem, I think i got a begin of solution, the effect is a lot less visible, I continue to see like an higher brightness when I go from black screen to white but I dunno if it's an eyes effect or a real change of brightness

I follow that :

https://mikebattistablog.wordpress.com/2016/05/27/disable-intel-dpst-on-sp4/ Disable Intel Display Power Saving Technology on Surface Pro 4 – Mike Battista's Blog

So to complete and paraphrase:

launch regedit

go to :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000]

(for me it was in 0001)

find the value FeatureTestControl

Open the calculator in programmor mode, go in HEX and write the value written, look at the binary, it give you for exemple:

HEX : c200

BIN : 110000100000000

change the 5th bit from the end to 1:

Put in on calculator in programming mode/BIN and get the HEX value

BIN : 1100001000010000

HEX : c210

modify the register with regedit and put the new HEX value in FeatureTestControl

Restart your computer

LRaza
Beginner

I have tried many solution on many websites, this one helped me! only registry modification saved me. Thank you guys!

0 Kudos
tringuyen0212
Beginner

Hello AMART53 
Now is 2024, i have surface pro 7 and got same issue. I followed your steps. And what a surprise it actually worked !!!!!! I must register account here to say thank you, u save my fk surface pro bro ❤️

0 Kudos
DFink1
Beginner

Hi, if you have Windows 10:

Settings -> System -> Display -> "Change brightness automatically when lighting changes"

Einstellungen -> System -> Anzeigen -> "Helligkeit automatisch an veränderte Lichtverhältnisse anpassen"

You should also disable "Night light" (Nachtmodus).

0 Kudos
AMART53
Beginner

Is not that, the problem is related to the color of the screen. When something dark is display, the screen brightness go down. (the sensor wich your mention can provoc a similar problem, but is not this problem )

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Vollga

Thank you for joining the community. I will like to verify with you if the windows brightness has the same setting when the laptop is on battery and plugged in?

You case review that on control panel >all controls panel items >power options > edit plan settings

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Vollga

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
ZK2
Beginner

i would love some help. or at least an update to the drive, cuz this feature is annoying as all heck when designing or playing games. or just browsing.

why is it a feature at all? its more like a bug

0 Kudos
MKhan26
Beginner

I cant even seem to find the option to disable it.

As for changing the registry, I tried the solution and changed the value of FeatureTestContect from 8200 to 8210 but in vain. I am facing this problem with my external display rather than built in one on my laptop.

I cant watch a single movie or anything because the brightness decreases to a near 0 with a drak background. A solution would be appreciated.

AKuma100
Beginner

I have the exact same issue. Please let us know if you find any solution for the same.

0 Kudos
JPere33
Novice

On the older HD Graphics Control Panel, you could disable it. On the newer versions

of the Control Panel, Intel removed the option to disable this extremely annoying

adaptive brightness feature! IDIOTS. They can't seem to do anything right. Nobody

wants this EXTREMELY ANNOYING behavior and people are wasting HOURS

trying to figure out how to disable this.

ddian
Beginner

This has been an issue for me for over a year. Two times I got it disabled, can't remember how I did it the first time, but last time it was the regedit thing. But hey, I open my PC today and what do you know, it's back again. So I do the regedit thing again, because it has went back to original value, but this time it didn't work. So what I did was just disable the damn Intel GPU and use my Nvidia GPU as main. Sick of this bs honestly. Only downside is that now I can't use the night light, but at least there's an actual workaround for that.

JPere33
Novice

What's making this issue even more RIDICULOUS is that if you switch to battery power, the problem (mostly) goes away!!

Why does the stupid "power saving" brightness adjustment have to kick in when you are plugged in??!??

0 Kudos
THege
Beginner

Any soultions here? I still cannot find an option to disable this dynamic backlight brightness in the new Intel Graphics Command Center.

0 Kudos