Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

in an Asus x52c laptop can I replace an Atheros AR4285 wireless card with an Intel 6300 wireles card

MCast9
Novice

I have an Asus X52C laptop where the Atheros AR 4285 wireless card cuts in and out so I want to replace it with an Intel 6300 wireless card,does anyone know of compatibility issues with this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MCast9
Novice

Okay thank you to the two people who tried to answer my question.According to Asus the intell 6300 will work.So I bought the Intel 6300 card and installed it,It is working perfectly with no problems,So the answer is yes in an Asus X52C and X54C laptop the Atheros AR 4285 wireless card can be replaced with an Intel 6300.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This is really a question for Asus. Many laptop BIOS implement white lists and will only support (i.e. not disable) devices that are included in the white list. Further, since Bluetooth is part of the wireless solution and Bluetooth can be used for Keyboard and Mouse support in the BIOS, the BIOS must understand the Bluetooth implementation so it can support it. Bottom line, you need to ask Asus ehat their BIOS will and won't support.

...S

0 Kudos
MCast9
Novice

Of course Asus denies that such a white list exists So I was wondering if anyone else had done this and if they ran into any problems.

0 Kudos
MCast9
Novice

According to Asus there is no white list,however I did notice under their download section there is a older driver for an Intel wireless card.

0 Kudos
MCast9
Novice

So According to ASUS Support.

Thank you for contacting ASUS Product Support, my name is Shannon H. I do hope you are having a wonderful day today.

I understand you wish to know if you can replace the wireless card in your X54C with a Intel 6300 wireless card and you want to know if it is compatible. I will gladly assist you.

The X54C is compatible with the Intel 6300 wireless card.

Thanks to everyone who took time to answer my question.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

But, you have an x52c and asus is quoting an x54c.

Just saying...

Doc

0 Kudos
MCast9
Novice

Okay according to ASUS the X54C is the model but the Model Build is a K54C and this was their reply.

I understand you wish to know if you can replace the wireless card in your

>> K54C with a Intel 6300 wireless card and you want to know if it is

>> compatible. I will gladly assist you.

>> The K54C is compatible with the Intel 6300 wireless card.

0 Kudos
MCast9
Novice

Okay thank you to the two people who tried to answer my question.According to Asus the intell 6300 will work.So I bought the Intel 6300 card and installed it,It is working perfectly with no problems,So the answer is yes in an Asus X52C and X54C laptop the Atheros AR 4285 wireless card can be replaced with an Intel 6300.

0 Kudos