Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14516 Discussions

Lenovo all in one with I5 or I7?

idata
Employee

I had a Lenovo B50-30 with an I5-4460T processor. That PC got hit by lightning via the Ethernet cable and has now been replaced with a new Lenovo AIO 910 all in one which has an I5 6400T CPU @ 2.20GHz. It has 8Gb RAM and is 64bit. My first thoughts are that this PC is a bit slow and that maybe I should have opted to pay a little more and got the https://www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-ideacentre-510-all-in-one-pc-intel-core-i7-8gb-2tb-hdd-nvidia-gt940mx-23-full-hd-white/p3260090 Lenovo IdeaCentre 510 All-in-One PC, Intel Core i7, 8GB, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GT940MX, 23" Full HD, White.

This machine has a Quad-Core i7-7700 processor.

So here's my dilemma - I don't do gaming. I do photo and video editing and then just normal word/excel documents. Not big on social media and streaming music and videos etc. So would the i7 really make an improvement in speed of operation or am I just thinking it would. The spec suggests a faster machine but I don't want to change if the difference is that small that I barely notice it. Maybe the i5 is good and I'm just being over picky. Certainly the startup time of my PC is pretty slow but then I read that in a review before purchase so should not be surprised.

I would be most appreciative if someone could give a view.

Thankyou

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, depending upon how sophisticated you are, video editing can take a lot of processing power (though, for the most part, it is I/O bound). Still, I would think that an i5 processor should be just fine for this - and is likely overkill for the simpler things like document management, email and web surfing. I have an office chock full of computers from lowly Atom processors all the way up to high-end Core i7 processors. While I can feel differences in the snappiness of the Windows user interface between the Atom/Pentium/Celeron-class processors and the Core i3/i5/i7-class processors, I cannot say that I feel a lot of differences between the i3, i5 and i7 systems; certainly no heavy lag anyway. I jump from machine to machine without feeling much difference - except when the O/S changes from Windows 10 to Windows 7: Windows 7 is *always* much snappier! (its all that spyware that Microsoft includes in Windows 10)

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, depending upon how sophisticated you are, video editing can take a lot of processing power (though, for the most part, it is I/O bound). Still, I would think that an i5 processor should be just fine for this - and is likely overkill for the simpler things like document management, email and web surfing. I have an office chock full of computers from lowly Atom processors all the way up to high-end Core i7 processors. While I can feel differences in the snappiness of the Windows user interface between the Atom/Pentium/Celeron-class processors and the Core i3/i5/i7-class processors, I cannot say that I feel a lot of differences between the i3, i5 and i7 systems; certainly no heavy lag anyway. I jump from machine to machine without feeling much difference - except when the O/S changes from Windows 10 to Windows 7: Windows 7 is *always* much snappier! (its all that spyware that Microsoft includes in Windows 10)

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Many thanks for taking time to respond. It was very helpful.

Ron.

0 Kudos