Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20629 Discussions

NO HDMI OUTPUT DELL INSPIRON 7746

MA3
Beginner

Hi

I have a Dell inspiron 7746, comes with intel HD 5500 integrated graphics and Nvidia 845M. After I had to change my hard drive, I recovered my windows 8 (originally on the laptop) and then reinstalled windows 10 home (build 1079).

ever since I replaced the hard drive I can bot get the HDMI port to output anything. no external monitor works. I tried different laptop and the monitors are fine.

Since then I have updated my BIOS, updated the graphic drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. I can't think of anything else. The diagnostics test do not shoe any thing wrong with my laptop. all other ports and internal parts work just fine. I can't tell what could have gone wrong. I am suspicious that this is software related problem but I cant be sure. can anyone help me with this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi MoriA,

I understand you have problems getting the computer detect external monitor. Let me help you on this matter.

You computer seems to have hybrid graphics, this means you are currently on Intel® graphics controller and Nvidia* card.

I recommend the following steps to try to solve this problems:

1. Please remove any graphics drivers from your computer by using Programs and features from Windows® Control Panel

2. Install the latest graphics drivers from Intel at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27267/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-?product=86210 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27267/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-?product=86210

3. Download and install Nvidia* graphics drivers from your computer manufacturer's website.

Please let me know your findings.

Regards,

Allan J
0 Kudos
MA3
Beginner

Dear Allen

I downloaded the right file from the page you kindly provided. I looked at the version of my current driver where I found and installed from DELL website, it is 20.19.15.4531. The version of the driver in INTEL website is 15.40.37.4835 which at least judging by the numbers, should be newer. But unfortunately as I try and install this files it shows an error which says:" Te driver being installed is not validated for this computer.Please obtain appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer". and the newest available on DELL is the one I already got.

0 Kudos
MA3
Beginner

Now using the "Have disk" manual method I was able to install the latest intel driver. But still nothing on my second monitor.

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos