Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20628 Discussions

Intel HD driver shifts display from built in monitor to external one

JRich14
Beginner

Running Windows 7 on a Dell Lattitude e6410 with an external monitor from the blue video port. I had to re-install Windows 7 due to file corruption issues. Ever since, I have had video problems.

Using a standard VGA driver, the video loads on the built-in monitor. But there is no way to extend to the external monitor. Changing to the Intel HD driver for the video adapter, at boot I see the Dell logo on the built-in display, and the starting Windows message on the built-in display, but then everything else displays on the external monitor.

Click on screen resolution, display settings, and the driver won't detect the built-in display, only the external monitor.

Intel support points me to Dell, which thinks I have the correct driver.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Binky

Thank you for joining the community.

Just to confirm with you by blue video port you meant the VGA port?

Is the video cable VGA to VGA?

Could you provide us the DxDiag report following this steps
  1. Press win logo key+R
  2. Type Dxdiag
  3. Select "OK"
  4. Select "save all the information"
  5. Attach the .txt file to the thread

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
JRich14
Beginner

Yes, the conectors from the laptop and external monitor are VGA to VGA.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JRich14
Beginner

Under these settings, the identify button shows the external monitor as 2, and I can grab dialog boxes and move them to the left, where I presume they land on one 1, except that all 1 shows is the backlit display. I suspect a driver / bios conflict and wonder if there is an earlier or later Intel HD adaptor driver that I was using prior to having to reinstall Windows.

Here is what I want.

For a few seconds, I can see what is on screen 1, displayed on screen 2, and then it reverts to displaying everything on screen 2. Then the configuration changes.

This is how it resets.

0 Kudos
JRich14
Beginner

One last observation...

Viewing the external monitor, I click device manager, and delete the Intel HD graphics driver, and then restart.

Video now starts and continues on the internal monitor, but the Intel HD graphics driver is found and installed. On the next boot, I am back to video only displaying on the external monitor.

I think that means that the Intel HD graphics driver is the reason I can only see the external monitor.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Binky

Thank you for the response.

Looking into your case seems that we can try to install the drivers recommended by the manufacturer that are built for your system you can find those in the following link

https://downloads.dell.com/video/VIDEO_DRVR_WIN_R296701.EXEv https://downloads.dell.com/video/VIDEO_DRVR_WIN_R296701.EXEv

please let me know the outcome

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
JRich14
Beginner

Thanks.

I had gone to Dell's site and installed the recommended driver. That was Intel HD Graphics (i5) 8.15.10.2622 and it was the cause of the video display switching from internal to external monitors. I did find on a Thinkpad site, a user with a similar problem, and the recommendation there was a newer driver 8.15.0.2993 which I installed, and the video now displays extended across both monitors.

0 Kudos