Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

3165 Wifi driver fails to update

idata
Employee

Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 7560 with an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 Wifi adapter with driver version 19.51.8.2.

I keep getting update alerts announcing there is an update available (19.60.0.7) but when I run this, it fails because the embedded driver version for the 3165 driver is the SAME as that installed (19.51.8.2). Then next day I get the same update alert again.

Can anyone help please to stop this "loop"?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Hutchisd123,

Thanks for posting.

Assuming you're using Windows 10*, the latest driver version for Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 is 20.30.1.2 and can be downloaded here:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005559/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Download the Latest Driver for Your Intel® Wireless Adapter

Where exactly are you receiving the update alerts and what Windows* version are you using?

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Duncan,

The Wireless packages actually contain multiple drivers for the various supported wireless devices. These drivers have their own version number and these are maintained separate from the overall package. Suppose a single driver needed to be modified. In this case, the updated build of the driver would be added to the package with the existing builds of the other drivers. Only the version number for the updated driver and the overall wireless package change in this case. Now, this creates a problem. Windows Update knows that the package has been updated and wants to install it. When this happens, if the driver needed for your system is not the one that was updated, then the install fails because the right driver is already on the system. Intel has this problem in a bunch of their driver packages, including that for Ethernet and HD Graphics. They are working out how to handle this better.

So, what do you do in the meantime? Best thing to do is, after the package install has been attempted once, hide this package so no further attempts are made to update it. It's a pain in the a$$, but there is no other alternative currently (Intel is working on it; I just wish they would work faster)...

...S

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Eugenio,

Thanks for your reply and direction to new package.

Download the package (20.30.1) and noted that the driver version for my Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 was 19.51.11.2.

Ran the update and found my driver updated from 19.51.8.2 to 19.51.11.2.

The notification seem to be coming from the Dell Update Package process (DUP). I am using Windows 10 Home version 1709.

Alas, when the notification came up again, it listed the "important update" as version 19.60.0.7 - this presumably is the "package version" rather than the individual driver.

So unfortunately i'm still stuck in this "loop".

Regards

Duncan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Duncan,

The drivers provided by the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) are usually different from the generic drivers available at our download site, which seems to be causing the notifications.

We recommend to perform a clean driver installation using the driver suggested by Dell Update Packages*. You can find detailed instructions on how to perform a clean driver installation here:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers

If the issue persists, please http://www.dell.com/support/incidents-online/us/en/04/contactus/dynamic contact Dell* support in order to get assistance for their update tool.

NOTE: Links to third party sites are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Let us know i there's anything else we can do for you.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Eugenio,

Thanks again.

Did a clean uninstall and then installed the Dell Update Package: Intel 3165 7265 8260 8265 Wi-Fi Driver, 20.10.1.1190, A00.

Seemed to run through ok and it loaded the driver version 19.51.8.2.

Then, an hour later along comes the Dell SupportAssist notification for an "update" with version 19.60.0.7 again and sure enough this fails.

I'll get in touch with Dell to try to stop this nonsense.

Thanks again and Regards

Duncan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Duncan,

Thanks for the update.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can do from our side.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos