Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Bug Report: Vega M GL and i7-8705G Graphics Switching lag spike

TDee
Beginner

Hello, I recently purchased a Dell XPS 9575 2-in-1 with i7-8705G and Vega M GL GPU and it's been great so far except for a bad gaming bug. In NBA 2K17, the game runs smoothly for a few minutes until a massive lag spike occurs for 5-10 seconds before normal gameplay resumes. With Task Manager open while gaming, I can see that GPU usage suddenly drops to 2-9% at the onset of these lag spikes while Intel HD Graphics 630 usage simultaneously hits 99-100%. This isn't triggered by anything specific in the game, as it can even happen while the game is paused. It seems like the GPU is just randomly turning off, causing the CPU to be overburdened, likely due to a driver issue.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the application in question as well as both the Intel and AMD drivers, but the issue still persists. Sometimes, the game will run smoothly and this won't happen, and I have no clue why that is! I've tried messing around with a bunch of different settings in the Radeon Settings, but none of these settings seem to impact this bug specifically. Has anyone here had any experience with this, or with similar issues? Are there any solutions, such as a specific driver version combination that works best for gaming currently on these chips? Is it possibly due to some setting that I'm just unaware of? Again, I'm rather pleased with this device and this CPU/GPU combo, but this bug is very troublesome.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello 3ddoman

Thank you for joining the Intel® community.

Please provide me with the following information:

• Where are you running the game from? (Steam, download ISO).
  • Are you playing on the local panel or external panel? If it is an external panel what is the model and type of connection?
  • Please share with us a picture of the task manager when this spike happens.
  • Please share with us a video of the game behavior.
  • Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility. Steps to save the report:
    • Run the utility.
    • Click on "Scan" to get the scanned system.
    • Once the scan is complete click on "next".
    • Use the "save" option, save the report to your desktop.
    • To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello 3ddoman

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
supertoast
Beginner

Hello!

I understand this is a very old thread, but I have the same exact issue as described by the OP in this thread. Is there any information I can provide to assist in investigating this issue?

I am using an HP Spectre x360 15T from spring 2018, which uses this exact same CPU and GPU combination.

I haven't watched Task Manager yet during the episodes of major graphics lag in games, but I can confirm that I see this in several games if the graphics are turned up high enough. Eventually after several minutes into gameplay, there are 5 or 10 second episodes where the Vega M GL GPU seems to slow way down and produce a slide show of high latency frames, then performance returns to normal.

Regards,

Josh

0 Kudos