Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Where to find Linux Legacy Person tracking, object recognition and slam packages

JConn4
Beginner

Hi, could anyone point me in the direction of where I could possibly get these packages? I am trying to simply run some examples but I am missing them and cannot install via apt as the packages no longer exist (librealsense-object-recognition-dev etc).

I have both a ZR300 and R200 and just want to get something working on them for gesture recognition.

Could someone also shed some light on where the realsense stuff is going? I already had a headache getting these legacy SDKs installed, and the cameras aren't even that old. I don't understand why nothing seems to be supported anymore while the SDK2.0 doesn't even support the tracking I want so I see no point in buying another model. Am I missing something?

Thanks for any advice.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Whilst I do not have a PC setup that can test the RealSense SDK For Linux, my research did find the installation instruction for installing modules. The features that you are looking for are only present in the RealSense SDK For Linux for the ZR300 camera only, and are not in the legacy Librealsense. RealSense SDK For Linux installs Librealsense as one of its modules, and adds a lot of other features such as person and object libraries that are not in the basic Librealsense.

Here is the list of RealSense SDK For Linux module names.

librealsense1

librealsense-dev

librealsense-sdk0

librealsense-sdk-dev

librealsense-sdk-logger

librealsense-sdk-logger-dev

librealsense-sdk-projection0

librealsense-sdk-projection-dev

librealsense-object-recognition0

librealsense-object-recognition-dev

librealsense-persontracking0

librealsense-persontracking-dev

librealsense-slam2

librealsense-slam-dev

In the installation instructions, it shows that you should list the names of all the individual modules that you wish to install in a single long line with a space and no comma separating each filename. For example,

sudo apt install librealsense-object-recognition-dev librealsense-persontracking-dev librealsense-slam-dev

Have you done such an instruction and found that the packages do not install?

Before installing these optional packages though, the SDK and samples should first be installed with:

$ sudo apt install librealsense-samples beignet-opencl-icd

The full instructions are on the SDK's 'Getting Started' page.

https://software.intel.com/sites/products/realsense/intro/getting_started.html Introduction to Intel® RealSense™ SDK for Linux: Getting Started

In regard to your other question about where RealSense is going ... the F200, R200, SR300 and ZR300 models are now classed as being 'end of life' (i.e retired). Support is still provided for them on this forum where possible, but updates for them are no longer developed, with the sole focus being on D415 / D435 cameras and RealSense SDK 2.0.

With the D415 and D435 cameras, Intel are following an open-source development model, encouraging developers and companies to develop third-party applications for D415 and D435. Examples include the face software CloudCompare and the skeletal tracking software Nuitrack.

It is planned that another generation of RealSense cameras will be released around the year 2020, so you can have confidence in future support and easy transition to the new generation by purchasing a 400 Series camera.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Whilst I do not have a PC setup that can test the RealSense SDK For Linux, my research did find the installation instruction for installing modules. The features that you are looking for are only present in the RealSense SDK For Linux for the ZR300 camera only, and are not in the legacy Librealsense. RealSense SDK For Linux installs Librealsense as one of its modules, and adds a lot of other features such as person and object libraries that are not in the basic Librealsense.

Here is the list of RealSense SDK For Linux module names.

librealsense1

librealsense-dev

librealsense-sdk0

librealsense-sdk-dev

librealsense-sdk-logger

librealsense-sdk-logger-dev

librealsense-sdk-projection0

librealsense-sdk-projection-dev

librealsense-object-recognition0

librealsense-object-recognition-dev

librealsense-persontracking0

librealsense-persontracking-dev

librealsense-slam2

librealsense-slam-dev

In the installation instructions, it shows that you should list the names of all the individual modules that you wish to install in a single long line with a space and no comma separating each filename. For example,

sudo apt install librealsense-object-recognition-dev librealsense-persontracking-dev librealsense-slam-dev

Have you done such an instruction and found that the packages do not install?

Before installing these optional packages though, the SDK and samples should first be installed with:

$ sudo apt install librealsense-samples beignet-opencl-icd

The full instructions are on the SDK's 'Getting Started' page.

https://software.intel.com/sites/products/realsense/intro/getting_started.html Introduction to Intel® RealSense™ SDK for Linux: Getting Started

In regard to your other question about where RealSense is going ... the F200, R200, SR300 and ZR300 models are now classed as being 'end of life' (i.e retired). Support is still provided for them on this forum where possible, but updates for them are no longer developed, with the sole focus being on D415 / D435 cameras and RealSense SDK 2.0.

With the D415 and D435 cameras, Intel are following an open-source development model, encouraging developers and companies to develop third-party applications for D415 and D435. Examples include the face software CloudCompare and the skeletal tracking software Nuitrack.

It is planned that another generation of RealSense cameras will be released around the year 2020, so you can have confidence in future support and easy transition to the new generation by purchasing a 400 Series camera.

0 Kudos
JConn4
Beginner

Thanks for your help. Yes those are the instructions I was following and none of those packages can be located when I try to install with apt. Even librealsense-examples can't be found. I was hoping I'd be able to find them somewhere but I've had no luck. I noticed you can get them for ROS still but not linux.

Okay that's more or less what I thought, thanks for the info.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi jacob.cb,

We are checking with the RealSense team on why those files cannot be downloaded.

Can you send us some screenshots of the error?

Thank you,

Alexandra
0 Kudos
JConn4
Beginner

Hi Alexandra,

Here is a screenshot of what happens when I try to install the packages.

Thanks,

Jacob

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi jacob.cb,

We re-ran the instructions in https://software.intel.com/sites/products/realsense/intro/getting_started.html https://software.intel.com/sites/products/realsense/intro/getting_started.html and everything worked.

You should run all the steps in the section "Installation Instructions" beginning at "Step 1: Setting up the repository."

Regards,

Alexandra
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jacob.cb,

Do you need further help with this issue?

Did you manage to install the packages?

Regards,

Alexandra
0 Kudos
AlessandroMelino
Beginner

Hello.

I am trying to install these packages on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and Ubuntu  16.04 LTS, but with this solution is not working. These are the inputs and outputs on terminal:

sudo apt install -y librealsense-object-recognition-dev librealsense-persontracking-dev librealsense-slam-dev

E: Unable to locate package librealsense-object-recognition-dev
E: Unable to locate package librealsense-persontracking-dev
E: Unable to locate package librealsense-slam-dev

I have alredy installed the following packages (sudo apt-get install librealsense2-dkms, sudo apt-get install librealsense2-utils, sudo apt-get install librealsense2-dev, sudo apt-get install librealsense2-dbg), so I don't know if they are included in basic SDK packages or not.

Best regards.

Alessandro

0 Kudos