Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Removed and reinstalled Optane module, no boot

MMay1
Beginner

I bought a new HP 570-p050 Mini Tower with 16GB Optane module and Win 10 Home. Booted, configured Windows, all looking good. Then I removed the Optane module, placed another NVMe module in there (256GB, the C: drive for a broken laptop on which I needed to do data recovery). Booted fine into Windows on the 256GB module, I copied the data I needed to a thumb drive, then I shut down, removed the 256GB module, and popped the 16GB Optane back in.

Now when I try to boot, I get a no boot device found error. The BIOS does see the octane module (and the HDD), so it not improperly seated in the slot etc. It seems the happy Optane-HDD pairing has been broken. Any remedies for this short of a wipe of the HDD and starting over?

Mike

0 Kudos
16 Replies
idata
Employee

Thank you for your interest in the Intel® Optane™ Memory.

I understand that you are having issues trying to reinstall your memory module.

Could you please tell me if you performed the corresponding disabling process before disconnecting the Optane memory from your motherboard, (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024626/memory-and-storage.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024626/memory-and-storage.html)?

Additionally, please attach the report generated by the Intel® System Support Utility for Windows* (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-).

I'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos
MMay1
Beginner

Hi Andres,

Thank you for your response.

Being ignorant of the ways of Optane memory, I did not perform the disabling process before removing the Optane memory.

Is there a way I can run SSU without a functioning operating system?

Luckily, there was no data of value on the system when I removed the Optane memory. Ideally, you can help me re-enable the Optane memory with no need to erase the main partition of the hard disk, but if the best way to resolve this problem and re-enable the Optane memory is to erase the main partition and restore the system from the recovery partition, then I OK with doing that. I just need to know the steps to take.

Mike

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Mike,

The issue you are experiencing is probably due to not performing the corresponding disabling process.

Please follow these steps ( https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024560/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html):

1. Open your UEFI BIOS Utility.

2. Switch to "Advanced Mode" by pressing the F7 key.

3. Go to the "Advanced" tab.

4. Scroll down to "Intel® Rapid Storage Technology" and enter.

5. Select your Intel® Optane™ Memory. May display as something along the lines of "PCIe 1.0, Intel MEMPEK1W0......", enter.

6. Under "Disk Actions:" there should be an option to "Reset to non-Optane." This option will reset your module and allow you to detect and enable it again.

Once you have followed these steps, you will be able to restart your computer and enable system acceleration once again.

Please keep in mind that these settings will vary depending on your motherboard brand and model, you may need to contact your hardware vendor or review your manual if the settings we provide are not a match for your system. The previous steps are for ASUS* UEFI BIOS.

Please let me know the outcome of this.

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos
MMay1
Beginner

I successfully chose "Reset to non-Optane" for the module in BIOS. Upon rebooting I still get the "Boot Device not Found" error. So the HDD is not being seen as a bootable device. Further, when I try to use F11 in the Startup Menu to enter System Recovery, that fails to the same "Boot Device not Found" screen. I think the HDD might be in an offline mode because of its previous pairing with the Optane?

What to do next?

Mike

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Mike,

Thank you for update.

Since you are not able to boot after the process suggested, you will need to reinstall Windows* 10.

We recommend you to keep the BIOS settings, physically remove the Optane™ and other drives, after that you can reinstall the operating system. Also, we recommend you to keep 5MB of unallocated space during the partitions set up.

Once Windows* 10 is installed then you can physically connect Optane™ and other drives and try again.

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Mike,

I was wondering if you have any update or question.

I'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos
MMay1
Beginner

Thanks for the followup Andres. I have not had a chance to do the reinstall, having been pulled onto other projects. I don't see any problem with reinstalling the OS with the Optane removed, then installing the Optane and reconfiguring with the Intel software.

The moral of the story for me is: do not remove an active Optane module! We bought this particular PC because it had a M.2 NVMe slot that I needed for a data recovery. I was not familiar with the Optane memory feature. Now I am!

Mike

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Mike,

In case you have any update or question once you perform the corresponding re-installation, don't hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos
YHuan37
Beginner

Hi Andres V.

I'm having a similar problem.

- Asus vivobook pro was bought with HDD + Optane 16 GB pre-installed.

- I bought a SSD to replaced the Optane. DID NOT INSTALL RST driver and DISABLE process.

- Resulting, stuck in BIOS page and not able to boot into Window.

- Switch back to Optane and same. Follow the instruction under ADVANCED tap, but DID NOT SEE ""Intel® Rapid Storage Technology"

Is there a way that i could re-enable Optane and boot WIndow normally then i could follow the correct method in replacing??

appreciated,

Yijon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Yijon,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

The correct way to remove the module from the system is by disabling it first from the application. If you remove the module without doing this first, your boot drive won't work because he still "thinks" the Intel® Optane™ Memory is there for it, but it's not there anymore.

Unfortunately, if this happens and you cannot boot anymore, you would have to re-install the OS. In some cases, connecting the module back makes the system to boot again, but I understand that you already tried this and it didn't work.

There is also another option in BIOS that is used to deconcatenate the drive from the module when this happens, however not all BIOS versions have this option. In ASUS* desktops, this option is located at Advanced>Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology. When going to this location, you should see your drive and the module listed. If you enter into the Intel® Optane™ Memory option, you should be able to reset it and deconcatenate it from the drive.

Please try this, but if you don't find the option or if the option doesn't work, my recommendation would be to contact ASUS* from assistance since you are using a laptop model and not a desktop computer. Laptops are not the same as desktop computers, their configuration includes usually special settings provided by the manufacturer, so it's always better to contact the manufacturer for assistance.

I hope you find this information useful.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
YHuan37
Beginner

Hi Diego V.

Thanks, for your reply.

I don't think the "deconcatenate" option is available on my laptop. I am going to re-install the OS.

-Having the Optane "linked" to HDD, could i re-install OS WITHOUT the Optane module installed??

-So later, i could just install the new SSD and clone the HDD Window to SSD.

thanks,

Yijon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Yijon,

The option of re-installing the OS is to delete any data on the drive and start from scratch. This will also delete any data that is part of the Intel® Optane™ concatenation. It's not the desired way, but as you don't have any other option to recover the drive, this would be the only way.

So to answer your question, it's not important if you have or not the Intel® Optane™ Memory concatenated with the drive because you will erase everything due to the OS installation. The Intel® Optane™ Memoy however, will still have the data of the drive concatenation, so you won't be able to use it because of this reason. You would need to clean the Intel® Optane™ Memory data in order to delete everything on it.

After doing this, you should be able to boot from your drive as it won't be paired with the module anymore.

Then, you can clone the OS, or any other operation you would like to do. The Intel® Optane™ Memory would be out of the picture by then, so it will not affect your system because it will not be paired with the drive after the re-installation.

I hope this clarifies your concern.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
YHuan37
Beginner

Hi Diego,

The laptop is relatively new, there is no important data.

Intel Optane Memory, how would i clean the Intel Optane Memory data? I did a quick search on Intel Support and it says Securely erase data doesn't not Securely erase on Window 10.

Do i just need to download the Intel SSD Toolbox?

thanks,

Yijon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Yijon,

If you are not going to use the Intel® Optane™ Memory later, then it's not necessary to perform the cleaning process, but if you prefer to do it anyways, please follow these steps:

1. Open the command prompt as Administrator.
  2. Run the command diskpart to enter in Diskpart environment.
  3. Type list disk and press enter to display a list of the drives connected to your system. You should see the Intel® Optane™ Memory there. Take note of the disk number that appears associated to the module.
  4. Run the command select disk . Make sure to use the disk number associated to the module.
  5. Type clean all and press enter. This command will clean the module erasing all data stored in it.

One the process is done, the module will be cleaned from any previous data. There is no need to use any other tool like Intel® SSD Toolbox or similar.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
RAJU2529
New Contributor III

I have the real solution ,total fault is from your side I clearly explain the fault

1. you bought the new computer with intel optane + HDD ,

2. you installed windows 10 home in HDD without removing intel optane memory , it works fine

3. some problems happened in HDD , so you removed the HDD and sent to data recovery

4. you added new NVme ssd inplace of intel optane memory ( without intel optane memory you installed windows 10 )

5. you made a big mistake , intel recommends keep the HDD or SSD together intel optane memory and install the windows 10 with atlast unallocated free space atleast 5MB

moreover you not read instructions manual for installation windows and adjustment settings in bios .

I think , intel optane memory not give problem .

Follow below instructions

1.go to BIOS . select UEFI mode, disable CSM

2.changes the SATA controller mode to 'Intel® RST Premium and System Acceleration with Intel® Optane™ Technology' mode,

DO NOT change the SATA controller mode back to 'AHCI'. Doing so, will prevent Intel® Optane™ memory from functioning properly.

3. convert the NVme ssd to GPT partition

4. install the Windows OS, create partitions up to 200GB only ,leave 30GB free , dont create partition till end of the disk

5. after installed and booting windows , download install latestIRST , and then download and install intel optane software , enable optane

6. read instruction manual here

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/optane-memory/intel-optane-memory-user-installation.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/optane-memory/intel-optane-memory-user-inst

I hope ,my reply will solve the problem

0 Kudos
msche12
Beginner

Hello :)

have make the same mistake .

​I using now a Asus rog maximus x.

Bios is updated but ...

​1. Open your UEFI BIOS Utility.

2. Switch to "Advanced Mode" by pressing the F7 key.

3. Go to the "Advanced" tab.

4. Scroll down to "Intel® Rapid Storage Technology" and enter.

I see the Optane , but cant use more options.

Reinstalled the bios 5 times , but noting helps me to find this options.

​any idea ?

​Thanks u :)

0 Kudos