Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here

Optane Memory Issues

GCamp6
Beginner

Hello,

I got my Optane Memory Module today, and installed it onto my motherboard, an Asus Prime Z370-A. At first, I thought it would work fine and the installer would work along with it, but when I launched it, it would not work. This led me to find that I had to reinstall windows onto my SSD, while leaving my HDD untouched. Eventually after doing this in the way that was requested, (To switch from BIOS to UEFI) and this then allowed the installer to actually open and run. After installing the software correctly, and after the requested restarts, the software was then not even able to detect the module, as when I pressed on the enable button, the program said it ran into a problem, and the force closed. I tried a few different things, but nothing has worked. Just wondering if anyone else had this problem, or knows a solution.

I have already been onto Intel Live chat support, and I only got one thing useful from it which led to the being able to run the installer.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi grahamc22,

Thank you for contacting our support community.

We understand your situation regarding the Optane(TM) module.

In order to better understand your situation, could you please provide us with the following information:

1-Is this a fresh installation of Windows(R) 10?

2-Could you please confirm if you are trying to accelerate your boot drive or a secondary drive?

3-Could you please let us know the physical ports that you are using to connect the Optane(TM) and your drives?

4-Could you please provide the Optane(R) logs located here:

C:\Users\[your user name]\Intel\Logs

5-Pease attach screenshots of disk management.

6-Please download and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Intel® System Support Utility. Run the scan selecting "Everything." Save this report and upload.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
GCamp6
Beginner

Hi Junior,

1) Yes, this is now a fresh install of windows 10

2) I'm trying to boost a secondary drive

3) It's plugged into one of my 2 x 32Gb/s M.2 x4, if that is what you mean

4) Several files attached - (More added in second reply due to attachment limit)

5) (Added in second reply)

6) (Added in second reply)

0 Kudos
GCamp6
Beginner

The rest of the requested files

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi grahamc22,

Thank you for the information provided.

Sorry for the confusion regarding the ports you are using, what we need to understand is the exact ports you are using, as an example: boot drive is connected in the SATA port 1, secondary drive SATA port 3 and Optane(TM) is connected in the M.2_1 port.

Also, please provide a screenshot of the disk management showing the unallocated drives just to confirm if the Optane(TM) is detected there. In case the Optane(TM) software gives you an error, please attach the information as well.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
GCamp6
Beginner

My Boot drive is in SATA port 2, and my secondary is in port 1, and Optane is connected in the M.2_1 port

The screenshot of disk management provided already shows all the drives. The Optane drive does not show up in it.

The Optane software gives an error, but does not show any details on the error that I can find.

0 Kudos
GCamp6
Beginner

I did also manage to find this (see img attached) Not sure what this is, or if it is the Optane device... If it is, this is the only place it is being detected.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi grahamc22,

Thanks for the information provided.

As per Motherboard http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_Z370-A/E13271_PRIME_Z370-A_UM_WEB.pdf?_ga=2.32797501.209925589.1531173802-1497938182.1519658957 user manual the M.2_1 socket shares lanes with the SATA_1 port so that could be why the module is not detected.

We recommend you to your back up your data, leave the SATA port 1 disconnected and move the drive to the SATA port 3.

Also, we recommend you to make sure you have the following BIOS settings:

1- Go to Boot\CMS (Compatibility Support Module) and make sure is disabled.

2-Go to advanced\PCH Storage Configuration and check the following information:

A- SATA Mode Selection: Intel RST Premium with Intel(R) Optane(TM) System Acceleration(RAID).

After that please press f10 to save changes and restart.

In case you perform those changes, a recovery screen may appear and that is normal.

Please let us know the outcome of your situation.

NOTE: Links to third party sites are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
GCamp6
Beginner

I have done as requested and swapped out from SATA port 1 to port 3, and ensured all the BIOS settings are as you said. Thought, nothing has changed, and the Optane drive is still not detected. I'm starting to think the device might just be faulty...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi grahamc22,

Thank you for the reply.

Based on the information provided, we recommend you to contact your lhttps://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @3 ocal support team for further assistance.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
GCamp6
Beginner

What is my local support team? If by that you mean a local office, as far as I'm aware, there are none near me...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi grahamc22,

Thanks for the reply.

By local support, we mean to contact our support team for your country via phone, chat or web ticket in this https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @3 link.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos