Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Intel HD 630 4K Monitor Resolution Downgraded to 1280x720 When Windows 10 Loads

AMor
Beginner

Good afternoon,

I recently purchased a 4K 3840x2160 monitor (Monoprice 27772). As the computer boots up and the BIOS screen is displayed, the resolution shows 3840x2160. However, once Windows 10 fully loads, then the resolution downgrades to 1280x720. I'm unable to change the resolution via the display settings or graphics settings. I've attempted to update and install older versions of the graphics drivers within Device Manager without any noticeable difference. The device manager also shows the monitor as Generic PnP Monitor.

The monitor is connected via HDMI.

Attached is the dxdiag and the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel information.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AMor
Beginner

I've also installed the latest generic driver with no change in resolution.

This is in an HP 580-023w desktop computer. The computer came with a gtx 1060 graphics card, though I removed it due to heat issues and had been using the integrated graphics on a 1080p monitor without issue prior to switching to a 4K monitor.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you very much for sharing your issue with the Intel Communities Team, cchichi11. I will be more than glad to assist you.

Firstly, please make sure that you are using an HDMI®* 2.0 cable and, that the port of your computer supports HDMI* 2.0. Furthermore, can you please test your NVIDIA* card with this resolution? This step is to double check if this is related to the Operating System or the Intel® HD Graphics Controller.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
AMor
Beginner

I've verified the cable is HDMI 2.0.

Here are some things I tried, all with the same cable:

1. I put the NVIDIA card back in the computer and the resolution was 4096x2160 (good).

2. I removed the NVIDIA card and the integrated graphics resolution was capped at 1280x720 (bad).

3. I connected my 1920x1080 monitor and the integrated graphics resolution was capped at 1920x1080 (good).

4. I connected my 4k monitor and ran ubuntu live from USB and the integrated graphics resolution was capped at 4096x2160 (good).

So it appears the computer's hardware is capable with integrated graphics of displaying 4096x2160, but is not working properly for me in Windows 10.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you very much for your response, cchichi11.

By checking these results and the graphics report attached previously, I can see that the drivers and the monitor's firmware are not communicating properly.

In this case, the drivers of the monitor should be installed on your system. I was unable to find any drivers on the Monoproce page. Please get in touch with https://www.monoprice.com/ Monoprice support so they can provide you with the correct drivers for your system.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, cchichi11.

I would like to double check if you were able to perform the troubleshooting steps that I attached to the post above and the results.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
AMor
Beginner

I've reached out to Monoprice and they are looking into the issue. It does not appear there are any drivers for the monitor, but I'll report back any findings.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello cchichi11,

Thank you for your response.

We are going to keep monitoring your thread so we can be on the same page.

Please let us know if any new information is provided by Monoprice*

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, cchichi11.

I would like to know if you have been provided with drivers by Monoprice*?

Antony S.
0 Kudos
AMor
Beginner

Monoprice doesn't appear to have any drivers or firmware available. I went back and forth with their support via chat and email for the last few weeks without a fix and they've offered to try swapping out the monitor or a refund. Rather than returning the monitor, I ended up purchasing a dedicated graphics card. I think this topic can be closed, unless you'd like to troubleshoot some other settings or drivers. Again, the monitor worked fine with Linux, but did not work with Windows 10.

Thanks.

0 Kudos