Items with no label
3335 Discussions

How to get pure infrared image from Realsense sr300 without patterns of the projector?

idata
Employee

I found that there are projector patterns in captured infrared images. Is there any way to capture pure infrared image (without projector patterns)? Or is there any way to close the projector for a few milliseconds? Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hi xyguo,

In the SR300, the IR projector is necessary to get depth data through coded light. The SR300 is not a stereo-vision camera like the D400 series, it has a single depth sensor that relies on the IR patterns to calculate depth. Therefore, if you turn off the projector you will not get depth. It is not possible to change the IR patterns because it is these IR patterns that enable depth readings. In the SR300, you can have three states of laser power on the IR projector:

1. Off - set laser power parameter to 0

2. Automatic - set laser power parameter to 1

3. Max Power - set laser power parameters to 2 - 16

In the code, the parameter rs::option::f200_laser_power controls this setting.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Alexandra

View solution in original post

8 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The link below provides code for turning off the emitter in SDK 2.0 (Librealsense2)

https://github.com/IntelRealSense/librealsense/wiki/API-How-To# controlling-the-laser API How To · IntelRealSense/librealsense Wiki · GitHub

For the 2016 R2 SDK:

https://software.intel.com/sites/landingpage/realsense/camera-sdk/v1.1/documentation/html/index.html?setdsenableemitter_device_pxccapture.html Intel® RealSense™ SDK 2016 R2 Documentation

idata
Employee

Thank you for your reply. But I found the captured infrared image become so dark after turning off the emitter.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

If you are using your SR300 with RealSense SDK 2.0, you should be able to restore brightness by turning off the 'Enable Auto Exposure' option directly beneath the one that turns the emitter off. If you expand open the Controls section of the options panel, you can then manually fine-tune exposure and gain with sliders.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I didn't find 'Enable Auto Exposure' for infrared stream. It seems only for color stream?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Apparently, the emitter enable / disable option is not available for SR300 cameras in the depth / IR settings. My apologies. I would therefore recommend reducing the Laser Power slider to try to minimize the pattern's visibility.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Seems to be a limitation of the device. Thank you anyway.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi xyguo,

In the SR300, the IR projector is necessary to get depth data through coded light. The SR300 is not a stereo-vision camera like the D400 series, it has a single depth sensor that relies on the IR patterns to calculate depth. Therefore, if you turn off the projector you will not get depth. It is not possible to change the IR patterns because it is these IR patterns that enable depth readings. In the SR300, you can have three states of laser power on the IR projector:

1. Off - set laser power parameter to 0

2. Automatic - set laser power parameter to 1

3. Max Power - set laser power parameters to 2 - 16

In the code, the parameter rs::option::f200_laser_power controls this setting.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Alexandra
idata
Employee

Thanks for your reply. It seems that SR300 cannot change projector pattern to get pure IR image.

0 Kudos