Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Turbo Boost Max BSOD

NBlar
Beginner

Hi there !

I experience some BSOD (whea_uncorrectable_error) when using After Effects

I heard in the past Turbo Boost could be sometime a problem, so I desactivated it. Until then, everything's fine, no more BSOD! But, I'm now locked to the base clock :-(

And as I couldn't find a recent case like mine, it's either I'm unlucky, or I've done something wrong ?

Specs :

i9 7940x + Asus R6E

Thank you !

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Kaneda,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

I understand that you are getting a blue screen when opening applications such as Blackmagic Fusion and other applications in your new build. I would like to help you.

Because getting whea_uncorrectable_error is usually a hardware problem, I would like to know if your motherboard has settings that automatically overclock it. You can try loading default settings and test enabling Intel® Turbo boost again.

Additionally, I would like you to run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to perform a stress test. Please attach the report to review it along with the Intel® System Support Utility report.

1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

I will do research to know if this issue is related to the Intel® Turbo Boost Technology.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
NBlar
Beginner

Hi Wanner !

Thank you very much for your answer.

I put to default everything on the bios, and Turbo boost is on. And as I'm not very confident with all these bios stuff, I couldn't really figure out if there was any "auto tweak/oc" activated by default :-(

Here the results for the IPDT and SSU

Thank you again

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Kaneda,

I was taking a look at the reports attached and I noticed that the physical memory installed in your system is 128 GB. I am wondering whether this issue may be related to the components installed in your new build. Are you able to test your computer with one stick of memory at the time? Make sure Intel® Turbo boost is enabled when doing this.

Another step you can take is uninstall the Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 if you have it in your computer.

If you get the Blue screen again, please take a picture of it and attach it to continue doing research as it seems to be a hardware-related issue.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
NBlar
Beginner

Alright it seems everything's fine now!

Since you said it could be related to the memory, I changed 2 things in the BIOS for a quick test before doing what you said.

I put the memory manually at 2400, and, just in case, I desactivated the "multi core enhancement" (something like that), where in "auto" is controlled by Asus, and "desactivated" is controlled by "Intel".

I did some quick "stress test", rendering in Maya, fusion, playback in Premiere and After Effects, all at the same time. And where the BSOD would be already there, nothing !

So, all good for now ! Thank you very much to have taken the time to help me.

Have a very nice day :-)

0 Kudos