Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here

Dual Boot - Intel Optane

KPose
Beginner

My computer contains two 1TB HDD drives each with a separate operating system. One boots Windows 10, the other boots Ubuntu.

After installing the 32GB Intel Optane on my Windows 10 computer, everything is working perfectly. My system is much faster and installation was a breeze. However, I can no longer successfully boot into the hard drive containing the Linux operating system. Is there a way to prevent the Optane module from affecting the boot of the separate hard drive? Is this a BIOS issue or can this be fixed using RST software?

Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MMaty
Beginner

The UEFI boot maybe misconfigured, probably helped to reinstall Ubuntu

Maybe it will help you

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295 Ubuntu Forums

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi poseykw16,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

Usually, when you have two or more boot devices, the system allows you to select which one to boot. You can prioritize one boot device over another on the boot options at the UEFI/BIOS, or access the boot menu manually to select the device.

I hope this information clarifies your concern.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
KPose
Beginner

Thank you for the response.

The system allows me to select the boot drive as usual, however, the Linux OS no longer successfully boots. It instead panics and restarts the computer. The addition of the Optane module has caused this change. Is there a change in the BIOS that I can make to stop the use of Optane when booting into the Linux software?

Thank you for your time,

Kaleb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi poseykw16,

That's weird since the Intel® Optane™ Memory is only paired with the primary boot drive. Your secondary boot drive should not be affected by the module. Do you have 2 different drives or you have one single drive with a partition for the Windows* part and another one for the Ubuntu part?

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
KPose
Beginner

Exactly.

I have two separate drives. I didn't think the optane stick would be able to interact with the second drive either. That is why I am lost and believe that it must be a BIOS configuration problem.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kaleb
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi poseykw16,

Could you please confirm if both drives were originally installed in AHCI mode? If that's the case, when you installed the Intel® Optane™ Memory, the process made the BIOS switched to RST mode which would make the Ubuntu OS unable to boot as the drive is still in AHCI mode.

If this is indeed the scenario, then you would have to reinstall Ubuntu in RST mode.

I hope you find this information useful. You can also try installing Ubuntu in UEFI mode.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos