Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics, "Scale Full Screen" in games isn't working with HDMI

idata
Employee

Hi,

Summary:

Intel HD Graphics, "Scale Full Screen" in games isn't working with HDMI, if a 3d game is started with lower resolution than monitor's resolution it appears like framed by a big black frame.

Preconditions:

Dell laptop based on intel n3710.

Windows 10

Drivers ver 15.40.38.4963

HDMI cable connected to a big extrenal display LG 2442t-bna, using an HDMI VGA adapter (chinese no-name brand, but it shows so hacking precise and beautiful picture!)

There were no tests made with the direct HDMI-HDMI connection, but the full screen scale of windows and linux OS UIs works very well and looks very beautiful, so I think the adapter isn't a source of a problem.

Problem:

Full screen scaling in games isn't working when using HDMI

(It works well with the output to laptop's matrix)

Steps to reproduce:

1. Connect a big external display through HDMI f.e. LG 2442t-bna

2. Open Intel HD Graphics control panel, go to "General Settings" , check "Scale full screen" , "override app's settings", or uncheck them They don't make any difference.

3. Open some 3d game and set a resolution lower, than on the monitor.

Tested With: Unreal Tournament'99, modes: OpenGL, D3D, DX9, DX10 support, software rendering mode - no difference.

Quake1 On Dark Places engine (http://www.icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/ LordHavoc's DarkPlaces Quake Modification ) - no difference.

4. Try to change compatibility modes for these apps - no difference (no other games were tested so far, these apps were working perfectly on my old dell Alienware but it died and I've purchased a new laptop).

The reason to lower a resolution a little bit is:

1. In old games - to small fonts in game menus that can't be enlarged

2. In new games - on this video card very high resolution causes a low FPS or requires to use the lowest graphics settings.

Similar problem was discussed a few years ago but links in this topic are broken.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

This question is not "Assumed answered", I've clicked the link, that sets this status by a mistake, and I'm unable to find a way how can I uncheck it.

The problem is still actual.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BA_QA

Thank you for joining the community.

I see that you are having problems during gaming, allow me to help you with this investigation.

I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have on the computer. Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Steps to save the report:
  1. Run the utility.
  2. Click on "Scan" to get the scanned system.
  3. Once the scan is complete click on "next".
  4. Use the "save" option, save the report to your desktop.
  5. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

Please provide me with the graphics report following these steps

1. Right-click on the Desktop, and click on Graphics Properties.
  2. Click Options and Support, and then click Information Center.
  3. Click on Save (save it in your desktop).
  4. Please attach the report to the thread.

I would recommend performing the test with a straight connection HDMI® to HDMI®.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BA_QA

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you very much for your response.

I was on a vacation and had no access to HDMI cables and a TV with HDMI, that were needed to complete the test: I aim at doing everything perfectly that's why I made a decision to wait for the opportunity to complete the test as recommended. The result will be ready today.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Tests were completed with direct HDMI-HDMI connection without

any adaptors. Results were same, as I predicted in my initial post.

Also, I've collected the information about the system using the tools you've suggested,

Please find the results attached.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BA_QA

Thank you for your response.

Could you try to use your system configuration with the external display only? Go to the Intel® HD graphics control panel> Display> multi display> select single display and the external display.

Also, review the resolution that is established for the external display and go to the settings of the game that you are running and make sure that the resolution setting is the same as the display resolution. If the game does not have the option to set the same resolution you could lower the display resolution so both resolutions match.

Hope this help.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BA_QA

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Leonardo C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your help.

I've tried to use the workaround you've described before creating this post. (to set the lower external display resolution and to run a game), it doesn't help - when the game is started, a standard resolution of the external display (Full HD) is switching on, and the game, ran with lower resolution, appears like a small window surrounded by a solid black frame.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BA_QA

Thank you for your response.

Looking into the situation this could be related to a customized display setting on the laptop system, I would recommend contacting the dell in order to replicate the system configuration with the exact same model and configuration.

Best Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos