Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

Intel Wireless AC 7260 driver frequently has issues on startup

MHube4
Beginner

Since late last month I have been having frequent issues with my Sager laptop's wifi card. This is the factory installed one. I tried using the latest generic drivers and it still has issues periodically, including every time I wake my laptop up from sleep or hibernation and often when I restart it. I have Windows 10 Pro installed as the OS, and looking at the Event Viewer it seems the driver frequently forces the chip to restart until the whole thing glitches out and I have to try disabling and enabling the wifi card or using the repair functionality on the driver installer. I have tried the 6 most recent driver versions, each time typically installing the matching bluetooth driver. All of them still cause this issue. Going back to the drivers from 2015, the latest ones available for my laptop on Sager's site itself, those also have issues now, though the last time I tried them I had at least couple days of no issues on startup before it started having trouble again. I noticed someone else posting about this issue was asked to post a certain log giving details of their setup, and I will go ahead and attach that, the wlanreport, to this. I'm wondering, if nothing else suggested helps, if it's possible to access some drivers from 2016 and earlier on in 2017 so I can see if one of those is more reliable? None of those drivers seem to be available on this site, but I may just have missed them somewhere.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello MattBlue,

There are different reasons why an adapter may have errors, or fail to connect. We checked the logs and the information you provided, we noticed that the adapter is connected to 802.11ac, but with a low data rate and signal quality; also the events show that the system had limited connectivity during most sessions.

SSID : Frontier2322_5g

Radio type : 802.11ac

Receive rate (Mbps) : 65

Transmit rate (Mbps) : 65

Signal : 60%

- WLAN AutoConfig detected limited connectivity, attempting automatic recovery.

Low signal and interference are often caused by external factors, not by the adapter. In this type of case, the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer, or Access Point Support may be the best contact.

Please try the following actions as they may help you discard some common culprits:

- Follow the steps for a https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers. We advise you to try the driver from your Computer Manufacturer first, if the issues persist with that, you can try our generic version of https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27849/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?v=t Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10, 20.60.0. (In the download center you can find Other Versions, the oldest we keep is 20.10.2, any older version would have to be obtained from Sager Support).

- Apply the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity.

- Go to the Power Options in Windows*, change the power plan settings, in the advanced power settings and make sure that the Wireless Adapter is set to Maximum Performance when plugged in and on battery.

- Try placing the adapter in a different position, closer to the access point and check if it helps.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
MHube4
Beginner

Thanks, I will try all of that next time it crashes. So far today it's been moderately stable other than when I first woke my laptop up from sleep. What's odd is my laptop is where it has always sat (same for the router) and these errors only started popping up on June 23rd. I'm thinking a recent windows update isn't playing nice with the drivers, since when I use a driver installer from you guys to uninstall the drivers and software and then reinstall the same driver or a different on, or I just select repair, it works alright for a while. Not always, but the periods where the adapter is being really stubborn and so unstable it's blue screening windows on an attempt at a restart are not common. Only on a couple different days have I had problems that drastic.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello MattBlue,

It is good to know your system has been working better. If the issues persists, please proceed with the clean installation and the other steps we recommended in our previous post.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos