Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14534 Discussions

Choose the more suitable processor between Xeon E5-2680 v4 @ 2.40GHz and on of comparable performance of new generation of Xeon's

HAl-S
New Contributor I

Hi All:

I have a code that works on Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v4 @ 2.40GHz.

I want to buy a new workstation desktop computer and want to select the best suitable processor. The company is offering the new generation of Xeon processor family which is Intel Xeon Scalable series.

My code basically depends on the number of cores in a processor (not on the number of processors.)

So, if my code takes for example one day to finish the run on the (Intel Xeon CPU E5-2680 v4 @ 2.40GHz.), My question is what processor in the new generation of Xeon scalable family should I choose to have my code execution time not affected?

Since the price is an important factor, then I will choose a lower number of cores like (Intel Xeon Gold 6130 2.1GHz), however, I do not know how this choice will affect the execution time?

Any help please?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi hms.81,

To compare processors you can do it on ark.intel.com.

Using as an example the processors you shared, use this link:

https://ark.intel.com/compare/120492,91754

It will compare both processors and the number of cores that in this case is what it works best for your code, price, and all the comparable factors between processors, price wise and cores wise, this is a good alternative for your previous processor.

Now we cannot determine how an architecture change will affect your code, since it is not our code, and maybe the code may have to be reviewed again, since you will be changing architecture.

Hope this helps,

Eduardo B.
HAl-S
New Contributor I

Thanks a lot. Now I have a clearer view.

0 Kudos