Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Record D435 depth data for specific areas in real time?

JYin4
Beginner

Hi all,

I'm trying to get the depth data for specific areas of the screen in real time. In the Intel Realsense Viewer, we can place the mouse on a specific pixel and it will tell you the pixel coordinates and depth data for that specific pixel. I would like to do a similar thing, except that there are specific and multiple areas that I have selected, and then record the depth data for those areas over a short time (about 3 minutes).

I have thought of a few approaches to this:

1. Record the depth stream for that event and post-process the bag file.
  2. Not sure if the viewer would respond to multiple "mouses", but try to get the Viewer to recognize multiple areas of interest.
  3. Take multiple snapshots of the depth data. I have seen the data outputs from taking a snapshot of it, but I don't know how to match the png/csv files to specific locations.

What do you think would be the best approach, and what are some resources or examples I could look at for it?

Ideally, my program would also automatically recognize the area that starts to move first, and then record depth from that area.

I am most comfortable with Python, and don't have very much experience in C or C++, so anything in Python would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

As a starting point for your project, if you go to the 'Enable Auto Exposure' option in the RealSense Viewer then there is a button called Set ROI. This enables you to set a depth Region Of Interest for the exposure.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

As a starting point for your project, if you go to the 'Enable Auto Exposure' option in the RealSense Viewer then there is a button called Set ROI. This enables you to set a depth Region Of Interest for the exposure.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jessicay,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel RealSense Technology.

Was the starting point provided by MartyG useful in getting depth data from specific areas of the screen in real time?

Thank you very much in advance for your answer,

Casandra

0 Kudos