Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Your system has detected one or more errors: optane on secondary drive

jdick8
Beginner

I got a message on startup today for my optane memory. I am not sure how to proceed to fix or attempt to fix the issue. On computer restart it seems to have turned off the optane module, and corrupted my secondary hard drive completely.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi jordanj,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

From the screenshot, it looks like the issue relies on the drive and not the Intel® Optane™ Memory.

Before doing anything, please back up any important data in the drive.

Once you have backed up the data, please try to disable the module from the application to deconcatenate it from the drive. If you get any error here, please take a screenshot.

Then, try to enable again the module. If you get any error here, please take a screenshot too.

It may be possible that you will need to format the secondary drive, but let's try this first to see if you get any error message in the module setup process.

I'll be waiting for your response.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
jdick8
Beginner

Diego,

I restarted my computer and lost the data on my secondary drive, and the optane module was disabled. Could you help me with safely formatted the drive and re enabling the module so this does not happen again? The hard drive is brand new as of a month or two ago when you helped me setup the module in the first place.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi jordanj,

I understand. I'm sorry you lost your data. I hope it wasn't anything very important.

Regarding to formatting the drive, you can use the information in this article: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006198/memory-and-storage.html Run a Low-Level Format on Intel® Solid State Drives

The article lists some free tools to perform a low-level format. Please try one of them to low-level format your secondary drive. Once it's formatted, you can create a new partition just as you did previously in your first thread:

Regarding to the Intel® Optane™ Memory, it may need to be formatted too as it may still have data from the previous configuration. To clean the module's data please follow these steps:

1. Open the Command Prompt as Administrator.
  2. Run the command diskpart.
  3. Run the command list disk. You will see all your drives, including the Intel® Optane™ Memory. Take note of the ID associated with the module.
  4. Run the command select disk . Use the ID number for the Intel® Optane™ Memory.
  5. Run the command clean all to start the process. This process will delete all data in the module, so make sure you actually selected the module and not another drive by mistake.

Once both, the drive and the module, have been formatted; you can try to enable again the module.

If you have any issues, please take a screenshot so that I can get a better understanding of the issue.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
jdick8
Beginner

Diego,

My secondary drive is a HDD not SSD (in response to your linked article). If this happens again (corrupted hard drive), what tool could I use to make sure I don't lose everything? Luckily the drive is new so nothing too important was on it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That's fine. That article refers to SSDs, but it applies to HDD units too so you can use those tools.

Regarding to the other question about a tool to back up the data, I don't have any recommendation for you. You can search through Internet for any free tool and learn how to use it, however creating a backup of your data it may be as simple as just copying your files, pictures, music, etc in another location like a USB flash memory or another drive. The main purpose of back up the information is to have another way to access the data in case the main drive failed for any reason.

I hope this clarifies the question.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi jordanj,

I'm wondering if you were able to setup the Intel® Optne™ Memory again.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
jdick8
Beginner

Diego,

I am still unsure what caused the issue with my drive, and I thought it may have been this: http://fortune.com/2018/10/06/problems-with-windows-10-update/ Windows 10 October Update Paused After Reports of Deleted Files | Fortune . Am I safe to just turn the optane memory back on and continue as I was doing before, and I will report an issue again if it happens a second time? Or is there something I need to do before reenabling optane?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi jordanj,

If you can enable the module from the application, it means the module and drive are working fine so you don't have to worry about anything else. However, if you cannot do it for any reason, it might be necessary to format the drive and clean the module's data as I mentioned above, and then try to enable the module from the application.

Let me know if you have any doubts.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
jdick8
Beginner

Diego,

I tried to enable optane and got this error. After trying to enable the optane memory, My hard drive was wiped again. I am very frustrated now, as I have hours of downloads and different files on this. Is there a permanent remedy to this issue?

Using Windows 10 disk management I am formatting my drive, but I see that there is another list of the same drive that says offline as shown in the picture. This is weird because I only have 1 secondary drive so this should not exist:

After the format, I tried to clean the optane memory and got an issue that it was offline:

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi jordanj,

I haven't seen that issue before, but after investigating a little bit I found a possible fix to make the Intel® Optane™ Memory online again.

Please go again to Disk Management and right click on the disk that appears as offline and select the Online option. This should make the drive online again and fix this issue. After this, please try to clean the module again and let me know if it works.

Additionally, and just to know, what message appears if you hover the mouse pointer over the offline disk?

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
jdick8
Beginner

Diego,

After a restart, the module was online, and I was able to delete the offline volume (whatever non existent volume I had). I cleaned the optane module, and enabled it. My computer claims it is currently working. Are there any known issues between Windows and Optane right now? Are there some updates to Optane I should install, or do I need to back-date my Windows OS? I am concerned it will happen again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi jordanj,

As far as I know, there are no known issues with Windows* and there are no updates for the Intel® Optane™ Memory.

However, I recommend you to back up your information from time to time just to avoid losing the information if issues like this one happen in future.

Regarding to the offline issue, I found this information where apparently it's because there were two drives with the same disk signature. Maybe something happened when Windows* initialized and the Intel® Optane™ Memory was assigned a disk signature that your drive already had making the issue to happen (and probably the original issue as well). After a system restart, Windows* may have assigned a correct disk signature and everything worked as expected: https://neosmart.net/wiki/disk-signature-collision/

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi jordanj,

Just to know, what RST driver version are you currently using?

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos