Items with no label
3335 Discussions

D415 Module : extract IR data

WG_
Beginner

Hi everybody,

I am planning to buy the D415 module. For now I don't have any RealSense product, so please be indulgent and tell me if I am unclear.

I haven't found my question on this forum.

If I am right, D415 (module or camera) contains 3 OV2740 sensors : on the left/right imagers and on the color sensor.

The color sensor has an IR filter, but not the imagers.

I have read that you can access to the raw (unprocessed) stream of the left imager :

But is it possible to extract IR and RBG (so no monochrome) from a sensor ?

What I want to do :

-> From one sensor : read RGB and IR data ;

or from two sensors : I need to be able to overlap the pixels

-> If needed, I can use a demosaicing algorithm to extract red and IR

-> For each pixel, calculate an index from IR and red values

I don't need depth information for this application.

If someone could enlight me, I would be glad to listen him

Thanks in advance!

William

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I located the diagram for the D415 Depth Module. Left-click on the image below to see it in full size

On the diagram, you can see the three Omnivision OV2740 referenced in the text of the data sheet document (the stereo imagers, and one color sensor).

The data sheet indicates that only the D400 module has a filter on the IR imager (IR Cut) and the other module types have none. The color sensor has an IR Cut filter. So your assessment is correct.

Details on ways to get the raw left and right IR can be found in the link below.

Yes, you can mix the streams in different combinations, including RGB and IR, as shown in an image I created in the RealSense Viewer software below.

Yes, you can overlay images from different streams and align them with each other.

You may find the discussion below on accessing the pixels of the RGB and IR streams useful.

https://github.com/IntelRealSense/librealsense/issues/2183 Access Pixels of RGB & IR frames on D435 realsense camera · Issue # 2183 · IntelRealSense/librealsense · GitHub

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I located the diagram for the D415 Depth Module. Left-click on the image below to see it in full size

On the diagram, you can see the three Omnivision OV2740 referenced in the text of the data sheet document (the stereo imagers, and one color sensor).

The data sheet indicates that only the D400 module has a filter on the IR imager (IR Cut) and the other module types have none. The color sensor has an IR Cut filter. So your assessment is correct.

Details on ways to get the raw left and right IR can be found in the link below.

Yes, you can mix the streams in different combinations, including RGB and IR, as shown in an image I created in the RealSense Viewer software below.

Yes, you can overlay images from different streams and align them with each other.

You may find the discussion below on accessing the pixels of the RGB and IR streams useful.

https://github.com/IntelRealSense/librealsense/issues/2183 Access Pixels of RGB & IR frames on D435 realsense camera · Issue # 2183 · IntelRealSense/librealsense · GitHub

0 Kudos
WG_
Beginner

Hi MartyG,

Thanks for your quick reply!

I will purchase the D415 module in this case, I'll let you know how I managed to do my project if needed.

0 Kudos