Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

newbie wants to know about optane enablement cycle

idata
Employee

hi, all,

i can't find a thread talking about this optane enablement cycle. can anyone share information about this or is it irrelevant/outdated?

i read that every three reboot cycle, it will need to be enabled and causing the boot time to slow by two minutes. is it true?

thxs and awaiting for any response.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

"i read that every three reboot cycle, it will need to be enabled and causing the boot time to slow by two minutes. is it true?"

I have not seen any such behaviour in my configuration with Optane.

Doc

idata
Employee

thxs pal, good to know. i actually read it here:

https://www.ontrack.com/blog/2017/10/04/intel-optane-memory/ https://www.ontrack.com/blog/2017/10/04/intel-optane-memory/

Should There be Cause for Concern?

While Optane Memory caching works well in making a HDD-based PC more responsive, it is not possible to uninstall the Optane driver. It is possible to disable Optane afterwards, but switching the storage control back to AHCI causes Windows to not boot. Around every third boot, the Optane drive went through an "enablement" cycle before getting to Windows. This added an additional two minutes to the boot time.

The amount of power that Optane consumes is concerning and is http://www.anandtech.com/show/11210/the-intel-optane-memory-ssd-review-32gb-of-kaby-lake-caching/8 said to lack any meaningful power saving mode. Optane is rated for 1W at idle status, which is the lowest it gets. This may not be a big enough concern for computer users, but Optane is also available for mobile use. Adding a minimum of 1W on top of the power that a mechanical hard drive uses, will not help battery life, despite how fast it might make the storage system.

Image source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/davealtavilla/2017/04/26/intel-optane-memory-tested-makes-hard-drives-perform-like-ssds/# 168733786090

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

I have had an Acer desktop (Aspire TC 885 with i5-8400, 8GB RAM, 1Tb HDD, 16 GB Optane "memory" add-on) for about 40 days. It was troublesome to install the module, update Windows, obtain the Optane drivers and set up the M2 Optane module to pair with the HDD, but the results have been very good. It helped greatly that the HDD already had been partitioned with unused space at the end, as required.

The PC boots in about 25 seconds, and the performance (general usage + software development using compilers) is very good. On one occasion, during a thunderstorm power was interrupted for a couple of seconds. The PC re-booted, notified me of the unexpected shutdown, and the Optane driver restored the contents of the Ramdisk from the Optane backup!

I have had consistent performance; I never experienced the "enablement" process described in the article. That may have been a real problem with the older drivers available in 2017, but may have been fixed in the present drivers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi berifarni,

Thank you or posting in the Intel® communities.

I've read the article you shared, however I haven't seen any report of the cycle mentioned there. Additionally, the article was posted a year ago so the information is not accurate. Since then, there have been some updates to the Intel® Optane™ Application/Driver and new features included, however a reboot cycle or similar has not been reported.

I hope this information and the posts shared by the other community users have clarified your concern.

If there is anything else I can help you with, feel free to ask.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.