Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

Suggestions for Debugging HPS MAC issues?

Dzar
New Contributor I

I am using EMAC0 in a Cyclone V HPS system. On a development board with a similar device (not exactly the same package, but a dual-core ARM Cyclone V part nonetheless) I can set up the MAC/PHY (same PHY, too, on both boards) and send/receive packets just fine.

But on this new board, I can't get anything through. On RX (receiving packets from the network) I can send an ARP packet to my system and see it perfectly represented on the RGMII buss between the PHY and MAC/Cyclone V. The timing looks good (clock centered in the data) and the bytes on the bus are exactly what I expect from preamble through FCS. But the MAC will either ignore this or report a CRC/Framing error (I've tried both 100 and 1000 Mb/s modes... same results).

Is there any debugging method to see what the MAC is seeing besides looking at the counters? I've tried setting the DT and FEF bits int he MAC DMA OPMODE register to try and get it to give me frames with bad CRCs so I can see what it sees, but this never gives me anything, either (except an occasional frame with all zeros in the data).

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Fawaz_Al-Jubori
Employee

Hello Dave,

We can debug through DS-5, by reading registers, or through signaltap. There is no specific approach to debug EMAC.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Dzar
New Contributor I

I guess I don't fully understand this. I am looking at the MAC registers in DS-5, but that's not a low enough view. I send seven ARP packets, and see one or two packets received, both with one or more errors (CRC/Alignment/etc.). That's not enough information, I don't think. My logic analyzer and scope show a very nice looking ARP packet going to the FPGA, so why such errors at the MAC?

Are you suggesting there is a way to get internal information from the MAC with Signal Tap? Is this documented? I've never seen that.

Thank you,

Dave

0 Kudos
Fawaz_Al-Jubori
Employee

Hello,

The logic analyzer will give you information until FPGA level. Inside FPGA we need to know what is going on. So, You can map HPS signals to FPGA and then you can use signaltap to trace signals.

This tutorial will help you:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/an/an706.pdf

thanks