Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 disappears occasionally.

CLin99
Beginner

Hello,

Recently, I've been having issue with my network adapter for my Gigabyte AERO 14 laptop. I have contacted their service centers, but they only wanted me to send it back in, which will take up to two weeks just to see if anything is wrong with it. I really need my laptop for work everyday, so I'd like to ask if anyone could help me here. Thank you.

Situation 1: Sometimes, when I turn on my laptop, the Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 network adapter will disappear. I even opened up the device manager to look for it, but it is not listed. I need to scan for hardware changes for it to pop back up. However, sometimes when I scan for hardware changes, it does not show up either. It will take multiple restarts before it shows up again.

Situation 2: Sometimes, when I am connected to the WiFi, the WiFi icon will disappear and become the LAN icon. I will check the network & internet setting to find out that the driver is missing again. Then I will search the network adapter in the device manager to look for it. Sometimes it will show up with the yellow triangle sign saying something is wrong with it, but sometimes it will not be there, resulting in the same procedures I take in situation 1.

I have uninstalled, reinstalled, and updated the driver. I even rolled back to older versions of the driver, but the problem persists. I am not too fond of sending it back to the factory for checkups because I need it for work everyday. I was wondering whether anyone has similar issues or can confirm that this is a hardware issue.

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Diego_S_Intel
Employee
Hello CLin99, Thank you for contacting our Intel® communities. In this case, based on the brief description of your issue and the troubleshooting done, it all points on your hardware being defective. However, there some things that we would like to verify: Have you made any recent updates in your system? When did the issue start? Does it happen in one specific network or multiple ones? Have you checked our Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity? Here is the link in case that you haven’t: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004AcLH2/intelr-dual-band-wirelessac-8260-disappears-occasionally?language=en_US&fromCase=1 I hope this helps. Diego S. Intel (R) Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation
0 Kudos
CLin99
Beginner

Diego,

Thanks for the reply.

To answer your questions:

1. No, I did not make any updates to the system. The only updates were a couple of games.
  2. The issue started roughly three weeks ago. Honestly, I don't quite remember what happened. At first, the driver seems to be disabled randomly once or twice a day. However, it's pretty much happening every 5~10 minutes now. I ended up connecting to a cable to stay online.
  3. This happens everywhere I go with every network. I can still connect to the network just fine with a cable, so I think the problem is strictly the wireless adapter.
  4. The settings are the same as the recommended settings.

I will eventually find time to send the laptop in to check for hardware issues. I just really hoped it might've been a software issue that could be resolved by myself.

Again, thanks for your feedback,

Jonathan

0 Kudos
Diego_S_Intel
Employee
Hello CLin99, Thank you for contacting our Intel® communities. In order for me to assist you better, please provide me with the .txt file that the System Support Utility will generate. To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-I hope this helps. Hopefully something else can be tried. I hope to hear from you soon. Diego S. Intel (R) Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation
0 Kudos
Diego_S_Intel
Employee
Hello CLin99, We just wanted to double check if you still need further assistance. Please don’t hesitate on contacting us back. I hope to hear from you soon. Diego S. Intel (R) Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation
0 Kudos
CLin99
Beginner

Hello Diego,

Basically, nothing I did helped at all. So, when my laptop's warranty was up (a couple of weeks ago), I opened it up and replaced the 8260 adapter with a 9260. Now it's running just fine. You were right to say that it was a hardware issue.

Thank you

0 Kudos