Items with no label
3335 Discussions

How can R200 camera be used for hand recognition?

JJ11
Beginner

Hi,

I'm working on a project and I'm using the Intel Realsense RDK but more specifically, the R200 camera. What I'm trying to get out of this camera is use it for gesture recognition and this gesture would be a 5-finger recognition (or a waving hand). The purpose of this is that I am building a mobile advertising robot and the camera would be for the robot to recognize whenever the people are interested on whatever is being displayed. The issue that I'm having is that I'm not particularly sure where to start since I wasn't the one who picked the camera out so I'm unfamiliar with all of its capabilities. I am using the NUC as the computer and it's running on Ubuntu Linux. Can I get some suggestions on where to start?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The R200 model does not have finger joint tracking, unfortunately. A camera model from the same generation that does is the SR300. So if the R200 is the only camera you can use, you are unfortunately going to have difficulty with creating a gesture recognition project.

The limitation of using Ubuntu Linux also creates a further complication.

The best option is likely to be to try to do the project with a software package called OpenCV, which is compatible with Linux. Google for 'opencv gesture recognition'.

Here's an example reference.

https://www.intorobotics.com/9-opencv-tutorials-hand-gesture-detection-recognition/

0 Kudos