Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Intel Ethernet I219-LM appears to covertly stop working...

patay
Beginner

I have a Windows 2016 server with TCP listener listening on multiple ports. I am running Wireshark 24/7 to determine root cause of three very rare issues that have appeared over the last four months:

Issue one - No data is being passed from OS to TCP listener. OS shows ports are open. Wireshark shows TCP sessions are established and accepting data.

Issue two - No data is being accepted by NIC. Wireshark shows TCP ZeroWindow originating from my server 100% of the time. Server resources (CPU/memory) are 2 to 10% utilized at any point in time. Restarting TCP listener does not fix. Disabling / enabling NIC fixes.

Issue three - This happened today and first time we found a log entry indicating something odd happened that matched timestamp in Wireshark. The server stopped receiving TCP data in Wireshark approximately 10:29 AM. It appeared that connections to remote clients simply terminated. The OS showed TCP ports were listening but nothing was established. I could telnet from another computer to server on TCP listener port. My computer connected to TCP port which normally would show in Wireshark but Wireshark displayed no TCP traffic on same port. I disabled and enabled NIC and Wireshark immediately showed TCP data flowing into my server (approximately 11:19 AM) and my TCP listener starting received data. Windows 2016 Event Viewer shows an event time matching up with Wireshark time when TCP data stopped being received.

1/29/2019 10:29:18 AM

The network interface "Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-LM" has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets.

Reason: The network driver requested that it be reset.

This network interface has reset 1 time(s) since it was last initialized.

I have two Intel NUCs (NUC8i7HNK) and both Intel NUCs have experienced issues one and two described above. Issue three happened today for first time.

I have a lab environment with same two Intel NUCs (NUC8i7HNK) that experience less volume than above NUCs and have not experienced any issues. The only configuration difference is that lab system has TCP listener configured on subnet A and TCP client sending data on subnet B. The NUCs experiencing issues are using single NIC on single subnet for both TCP listener and client.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Patay, Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. All 4 NUCs have the same version of Windows Server 2016 and have received the same updates, as well as the same BIOS version? Please download the System Support Utility from the link below, and attach a log file for us to investigate this issue. 1- Download from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 2- Open SSU.exe 3- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan". 4- When finished scanning, click "Next". 5- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post. Let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello Patay, Please provide the details that we require for us to further check the issue. If you have any other question, please do not hesitate to ask. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
patay
Beginner

I will work on getting SSU.exe output today or tomorrow and include in a post here. Thank you.

0 Kudos
patay
Beginner

I used SSU utility on NUC in lab and field, then compared. The lab has newer drivers / BIOS. I have attached SSU output from field NUC. If the drivers / BIOS updates could possibly fix issues then I will update. I read through release notes and nothing is specified regarding these issues.

0 Kudos
patay
Beginner

Attached is SSU output from a field NUC.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello Patay, Thank you for the information. We will check the provided details and we will get back to you once done. Thank you for the patience. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello Patay, Thank you for waiting. Please try updating the drivers and BIOS to the same version you have on your lab. Please let us know if this resolves your issue. If not, please provide another SSU logs for us to further check the issue. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello Patay, Please let us know if you were able to update the BIOS/drivers and resolved the issue. If not, please provide another SSU logs for us to further check the issue. If you have any other question, please do not hesitate to ask. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello Patay, Please let us know if you need further assistance regarding this matter. If you have any other question, please do not hesitate to ask. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
patay
Beginner

Today I updated six NUCs to same BIOS (HNKBLi70.86A.0053.2018.1217.1739) and driver "e1d65x64.sys" dated 10/10/2018. If I encounter additional issues, I will post here.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello Patay, Thank you for update. Please do not hesitate to post on this thread if you encounter another issue. Please let us know if you have questions. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos