Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here

HDD+Optane to fresh SSD

MLine1
Novice

I have an Asus Vivobook S15 which was shipped with an HDD and Optane. I would like to pull the HDD and Optane and replace them with an SSD with a fresh install of Windows 10. I would like to leave the HDD+Optane paired as a backup or if I ever need to send in the laptop for repair. Am I safe simply removing the HDD and Optane and installing my new SSD?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MLine1
Novice

I do appreciate all the advice Diego, and Scott. I will use this as an opportunity to let all consumers know, Asus will not provide any documentation or procedure for replacement of a storage device, and expects you to use a Certified Technician. The only Asus Certified Technician centers are located in New York and Georgia.

Considering this run around, I will likely Disable optane through UEFI and assume that is sufficient. I am not attached to the current installation of windows, and have no personal data on the drive. The Asus warranty states that while they require the original equipment to be installed in the event of a warranty claim, they do not guarantee any data on the computer. I believe I can meet those standards should the need arise, even if it requires Asus format the HDD and reenable Optane.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, you likely will need to change the configuration of your BIOS as a result of replacing this pair of devices (for example, changing the SATA Mode back to AHCI) - and obviously will need to change it back when you want to restore this functionality. Now, safe is a relative term here. Should you be ok doing this? Yes, I think so. Should you be doing this? No, I don't think so; the truly safe way to handle this is by disabling the Optane caching before removing them.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
MLine1
Novice

Very helpful, thank you, and about what I figured. I have hunted and hunted for IRST or Optane control panels, but to no avail. I can see Optane is enabled in Hardware Monitor, but I assume Asus has hidden user access. I have also tried updating the drivers with the most recent from Asus, and Intel, but am only given the option of uninstalling IRST or repairing the current install. I am able to "Disable" under Advanced Settings in the UEFI. But from what I have read from other sources, uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, or disabling through BIOS is potentially just as risky as simply pulling them and installing the new drive.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

See here for the full poop: How to Disable System Acceleration with Intel® Optane™ Memory: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024626/memory-and-storage.html

If you are unable to invoke the iRST application, to through that update again and this time pick repair. Maybe that will expose it.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
MLine1
Novice

I noticed in the video it happens to be an Asus UEFI that they are disabling through, I wonder if that is a sign. I am most concerned by the fact that in the UEFI it says Disable rather than Deconcatenate.

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi MLine1,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

Before removing the Intel® Optane™ Memory, you must disable it first from the application. However there are some details you should consider.

The first one is that we cannot guarantee that the change you are planning to do in your system will work as we are not aware of the features or special settings your laptop has. I highly recommend you to contact ASUS* directly as they are the ones that know how the laptop was designed, its limitations, features, etc.

The fact that you cannot open the application is an example of this. Before doing any system change, I recommend you to contact the laptop manufacturer to receive assistance.

Another reason to contact the manufacturer is to confirm if indeed the change you want to do will work and be supported by the laptop. Theoretically, it would be possible to install a new SSD and then configure the module to accelerate the secondary drive, however we don’t know if the laptop has any particular restriction that makes for instance, the module to work only with the primary drive. These are questions that only the laptop manufacturer can answer.

Besides, what you are configuring is the laptop itself, so it's better to contact them for proper assistance.

I hope you find this information useful.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
MLine1
Novice

I do appreciate all the advice Diego, and Scott. I will use this as an opportunity to let all consumers know, Asus will not provide any documentation or procedure for replacement of a storage device, and expects you to use a Certified Technician. The only Asus Certified Technician centers are located in New York and Georgia.

Considering this run around, I will likely Disable optane through UEFI and assume that is sufficient. I am not attached to the current installation of windows, and have no personal data on the drive. The Asus warranty states that while they require the original equipment to be installed in the event of a warranty claim, they do not guarantee any data on the computer. I believe I can meet those standards should the need arise, even if it requires Asus format the HDD and reenable Optane.

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi MLine1,

Thanks for sharing this information. Other users may find it helpful.

The only suggestion I can give you is to be careful with the system changes. As you mentioned, it may be possible that by doing what you have in mind the laptop itself will be still under the warranty policy, but still be careful because laptops are not as versatile as Desktop computers are.

I hope you are able to successfully perform the changes you have described.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos