Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

4405U cooling and energy use questions.

DGuy
Beginner

I have a device with an N3060 and I know it's fanless and doesn't use much energy. Does the 4405U use a fan and does it generate a lot more heat? Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello DGuy Thank you for posting in the Intel Community. The Intel® Pentium® Processor 4405U Series has a Tjunction of a 100 C and the Thermal Design Power (TDP) is of 15W these values are higher than the Intel® Celeron® Processor N3060, see this comparison link for reference https://ark.intel.com/compare/91832,89611. Please let me know what is the purpose of the question, are you looking to upgrade the processor or design? Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
DGuy
Beginner

Thanks for the info. I am trading up HP notebooks. I liked how the old one didn't need a fan. Does the 4406U run cooler than mod-range CPUs? And I slow it down in the BIOS if I want to, or by some other method? I take it this is a better CPU than the N3060.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello DGuy Thank you for the information. Bear in mind that both Intel® processors (do not include the cooling solution) are mobile units that are provided to the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) for their system build/design this means that they select the cooling solution and settings and how to manipulate them according to their system build. In this case, you can confirm with HP what is the cooling solution used on the system. Reference link: HP support: https://support.hp.com/us-en Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
DGuy
Beginner

I understand. I have been asking the wrong questions. Is the 4405U considered to be a lower power, low-heat CPU compared to mid-range CPUs, evern though it needs a fan?

Also, does the fan run all the time, or only when utilization is at a certain point?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello DGuy Thank you for the information. The Intel® Pentium® Processor 4405U is a Ultra-low power (reference link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/processor-numbers.html), but nevertheless it needs a cooling solution. the fan behavior is configure by the OEM, It can that while the processor is working under 60 C the fan is not running but once utilization makes the temperature go over 60 C the fans increases or starts working (this is only an example), to confirm the cooling solution behavior we recommend contacting the OEM. Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
DGuy
Beginner

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello DGuy I am glad to help you If you have more questions please do not hesitate in replying back. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos