Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Windows 10 + Intel 8265 | 802.11d and UNII-3 channels

ChusTM
Beginner

Hi community,

I am traveling from Europe to US for a business trip. I work as a wireless engineer and I need to test customer Wi-Fi but I am unable to use UNII-3 channels with my laptop (Lenovo with wNIC Intel 8265). Intel datasheet for the chipset 8265 specify it can work on all the domains (UNII-3 channels from 149 to 161 included) but I am unable to connect.

In Linux, there is a command to change the regulatory domain of the wNIC (iw reg set US) but I cannot found any feature to do that on Windows, nor the vendor driver.

On wireless networks, there is a standard known as 802.11d to inform the connected devices about the regulatory domain configured in the WLAN, for them to change the supported channels (in the case of US, avoid the use of 120 to 128, and allow the use of 149 to 161).

The result is that I cannot test the connectivity of part of outdoor network of the customer because I am not able to see the SSID on those channels. Is Windows 10 802.11d capable? Is there any way to change it as laptops sold in US can do it?

Regards.

Jesus

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello ChusTM Thank you for posting in the Intel Community. Allow me to investigate the behavior the behavior; in the meantime please provide me with the following information. What operating system are you ruining? What is the model of the Lenovo™ system? Is the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 the adapter that comes pre-installed on the laptop? Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
ChusTM
Beginner

Thank you very much Leonardo.

These are the answers to your questions:

What operating system are you ruining?  Windows 10 x64 1803

What is the model of the Lenovo™ system?  Lenovo Carbon X1 G6

Is the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 the adapter that comes pre-installed on the laptop?  Yes it is

Regards.

Jesus

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello ChusTM Thank you for the information. Can you try the following settings on the system? Advanced Intel® Wireless Adapter Settings https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005585/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Configure Channel Bonding on Intel® Wireless Adapters https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005799/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Steps to save the report: 1- Run the utility. 2- Click on “Scan” to get the scanned system. 3- Once the scan is complete click on “next”. 4- Use the “save” option, save the report to your desktop. 5- To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box. Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello ChusTM Thank you for the information. Have you follow the Configure Channel Bonding on Intel® Wireless Adapters steps and the Advanced Intel® Wireless Adapter Settings? Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello ChusTM I haven’t heard back from you, I am going to close this request If you have more questions please do not hesitate in replying back. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
ChusTM
Beginner

Sure, you can close the case,

After some tests I have been able to connect to a UNII-3 channel but in my lab in Europe. Maybe is something related with Windows configuration, nor the wNIC nor the driver.

Regards.

0 Kudos