FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5925 Discussions

Evalboard with EtherCat and PCI Express support?

JDold
Beginner

Hello,

offers Intel or partners of Intel an Evaluation board, which contents the hardware for testing a PCI Express IP-Core, an EtherCat slave IP-Core, at least 5 analoge Inputs, at leas 5 digital inputs and 40 digital outputs?

I want to improve a PWM-module which was realized with a Xilinx Spartan 2 (XC2S200). This module is a PCI card which use a PLX PCI chip an has 40 digital outputs. The host system send PWM information via PCI to the FPGA and the FPGA run the PWM. I want to create a module which can switch between Ethercat and PCI Express Interface (for different uses). The module should be able to process some feedback signals (reason for the digital and analoge inputs). I want to realize the EtherCat and PCI Express via IP-Cores.

Is there an Evaluationboard available which supports this requirements? Or have I to buy different Evaluationboards?

Best regards

Julian Dolderer

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Nathan_R_Intel
Employee
Hie, The FPGA PCIe development kits offered by Intel is for PCIe use with the Hard IP. You cannot switch to another interface. Hence, you cannot use this type of boards. However, you can use the Signal Integrity Development Kit which has multiple different interface connectors (SMA, Xcede backplane connector, QSFP+, CFP2 and others) to support switching between PCIe to other interfaces. However, you will need to use the PCIe in PIPE mode (use your own IP to implement the DLL and TL). Also, Intel FPGA does not support Ethercat. Hence, you will need to implement the MAC layer using your own IP. Samples of Signal Integrity Development Kit are: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/products/boards_and_kits/dev-kits/altera/kit-a10-gx-si.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/products/boards_and_kits/dev-kits/altera/kit-s10-transceiver-si.html Regards, Nathan
0 Kudos