Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

AC 9560 160MHz connection problems on 5GHz Wifi with Auto Channel Width

EC000
Novice

I have the Intel Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz on a Windows 10 HPZbook15G5. Driver has been updated to the latest version 20.120.0.4. I discovered that Channel Width for 5GHz set to "Auto" causes the computer to lose WiFi periodically. Switching the setting to 20MHz solves the problem, but 20MHz is not the recommended setting per Intel. The WiFi disconnect problem is more frequent when downloading or transferring large files on the LAN. When the AC9560 loses WiFi, all of my other 5GHz WiFi devices also lose WiFi (LAN and Internet). During this time, Wired and 2.4GHz devices connected to the same router (Nighthawk R7000P set for Ch153 80MHz width @1625Mbps) continue to function fine. The AC 9560 works just fine on 2.4GHz WiFi set to Auto. Any ideas on why this is? My help desk also tried restarting the services on network list service and also resetting the Network adapter : netsh winsock reset. Neither worked. The Auto vs. 20MHz setting and these symptoms are consistent and easily repeatable, so I have no doubt that there is a direct connection between symptoms and toggling this setting back and forth. Thanks!

9 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello EC000, Thank you for joining this Intel Community. If the connectivity issues started happening after updating the wireless driver, then we recommend performing a clean install of the wireless driver: Please follow these steps: Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Version: 20.120.0 (Latest) 20.120.0.4 for 9560 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28241/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters?product=99446 For band 5GHz, this setting uses 20/40/80/160 MHz depending on the wireless access point or router. Make sure the router is running the latest firmware available since this will improve the channel selection. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
EC000
Novice

Thank you for the suggestion. This issue has been present since the first day I got my laptop. I updated the driver earlier this week in an attempt to resolve the issue which did not work. Even so, I did just try the full uninstall, clean temp, then re-install per your instructions. This did not fix the problem. I was able to do major file transfers for about 2 minutes at blazing speed, but then I lost connectivity and it knocked 3 other 5GHz devices offline too, so I had to switch back to the 20MHz restriction setting which is stable. I spoke to a co-worker who just got the same model laptop, and he is having the exact same issue.

0 Kudos
IKaza2
Beginner

Try to configure in BIOS like this, this error on many adapters intel 9560. intel MAC.jpg

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello EC000, Thank you for your response. Based on the troubleshooting performed, this issue seems to be AP/router sided. However, we will gather more information to see if we can resolve this issue with the configuration you have been using. If you have been experiencing this issue since you purchased your computer, please let us know if the Intel® Wireless adapter came preinstalled. Also, we would like to know if this issue occurs when using Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) drivers, too. Please run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report to this thread to gather more system information: 1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View. 3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello EC000, If you have any further questions, we will be glad to help you. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
EC000
Novice

Thank you for your replies. I decided not to submit the requested information about my system. Instead, I will stick with the current solution of using the 20MHz setting. Thank you again.

0 Kudos
User1574019899451211

any update on this issue by any chance?

0 Kudos
XeNialLorD
Beginner

The only update you can have is get a better wireless card for your system

0 Kudos
XeNialLorD
Beginner

I'm never buying Laptops with the Intel wireless card again. I have the exact same model as you in my acer nitro 5 and it realy sucks to have to limit your router to 40MHz channels or forcing your Intel wifi to use 802.11N for 5GHz connections, this is a well know issue with these wireless adapters.

0 Kudos