Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

How to stop Intel Optane disabling on reboot ?

rbeth2
Beginner

Hi, it's been several weeks now that I'm trying to run intel optane 32 GB. When I turn on optane on my secondary hard drive everything works but when I restart my computer the RST software says that intel optane is being deactivated and when I restart it again optane is definitively deactivated and sometimes my hard drive is invisible in the file explorer.

so I tried a lot of things:

-reinstall windows.

-format my hard drive.

-verify all BIOS settings.

-verify that my processor is compatible and that my BIOS version is good.

-verify that I have non-allocated memory

-Try on another hard drive, etc.

and nothing works...

Do you have an idea of a solution?😧

0 Kudos
26 Replies
SilentObserver64
Beginner

The Intel Optane Memory was designed to work with the primary hard drive/boot drive only. ​It also only works in a raid setup, usually done from the BIOS first, then by the Intel Optane drivers and program second. To better assist, we need to know some information first, because the Intel tech's are going to ask you for the same information. A screenshot of your disk management screen, and a copy of your SSU report. Also a screenshot of your task manager, running processes of the Intel Optane programs, and another of the components services screen, also of the Intel components to see if any of those services are disabled or set to manual. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

I'll help you as best I can to help you troubleshoot and diagnose the issue.

0 Kudos
rbeth2
Beginner

are you sure I can not put optane on a secondary hard drive? I think the new version of intel RST allows it

0 Kudos
rbeth2
Beginner

Hi, thank you very much for trying to help me.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nCJ4Z48ni5GhfqIliF0d1pSiH9SX_aIz

0 Kudos
rbeth2
Beginner

The disk management is very strange cause I have only one HDD T :/

0 Kudos
rbeth2
Beginner

After formatting disk 4, I just saw a 2T hard drive

2.png

0 Kudos
rbeth2
Beginner
0 Kudos
SilentObserver64
Beginner

Specs for your board:

Intel® Z370 Chipset

6x SATA 6Gb/s ports*

1x M.2 slot (Key M)

ƒSupport up to PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA 6Gb/s

ƒSupports 2242/ 2260 /2280/ 22110 storage devices

ƒSupport PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe U.2 SSD with Turbo U.2 Host Card**

ƒIntel® Optane™ Memory Ready***

* The SATA1 port will be unavailable when M.2 SATA SSD has been installed in

M.2 slot.

** The Turbo U.2 Host Card is not included, please purchase separately.

*** Please refer to page 87 for Intel® Optane™ Memory Configuration.

You have roughly what looked like 5 hard drive/ssd's installed. Make sure your not using SATA port 1.

Download RST software from your motherboard manufacturer (if you haven't already)

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z370-A-PRO#down-driver&Win10%2064

Uninstall the current Intel Optane or RST software. Shrink the Volume of your Secondary drive (go into disk management and right click on the drive and shrink volume) by about 100MB. Leave it as unallocated space. Reboot into the BIOS. Jump to step 3. I assume you have already done this part, but we want to start from scratch so to speak.

Installing the Intel® Optane™ memory

1. Update BIOS (refer to the Updating BIOS section). (which you have done)

2. Install the Intel® Optane™ memory module. (Already done)

˜ Power off the system.

3. Enable M.2/Optane Genie (Have you tried this?)

˜ Power on and press Delete key to enter BIOS Setup menu.

˜ Enable M.2/Optane Genie by clicking the M.2/Optane Genie item.

˜ Click Ok in the dialog.

˜ Press F10 to save configuration and exit.

4. Install the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology 15.8/15.9

˜ Reboot to operating system.

When you go to reinstall the software, make sure you tick the box, to reformat the Optane drive.

Your manufacturer says you have a very specific driver you have to have installed (version 15.5 or later but Intel says per your processor that it needs to be version 15.8/15.9) that you can download from their website, so do not use the one from the Intel website, since it seems to be manufacturer specific. Once that is done, you can check the BIOS and make sure to use the GENIE if you need to, to make sure that the OPTANE drive is enabled (make sure that your secondary drive is set to RAID mode or RST mode as well as the OPTANE drive, and NOT AHCI Mode, you may see where it says Intel RST + your 2TB hard drive as one drive once enabled), then upon reboot, enable optane in the software, make sure to select the box to format optane drive, and select that secondary drive as the disk you want to pair it with. (Also noticed your Intel Chipset 200 driver needs updated). You can view the steps for the Intel Optane on pages 87 and 88 in your motherboard manual. If you can't get it to work after you update the drivers with the motherboard manufacturer supplied driver, then refer to pages 82-86 of your motherboard manual. Also check out this manual https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/optane-memory/intel-optane-memory-user-installation.pdf

See if the 2 drives are in raid mode/RST mode, and that the rest are not. Some motherboard drivers allow you to specify which SATA ports you want in RAID mode and which you want to keep in AHCI mode. Technically the GENIE is supposed to do that for you, for your OPTANE drive.

Let me know your results, so we can go from there.

0 Kudos
rbeth2
Beginner

hi SilentObserver64. I try some things you said:

-download rst software from the motherboard manufacturer (same problem happens)

-download rst software version 15.8 (this version does not allow optimization of the secondary hard drive)

-I moved one of my hard drive to let the sata port 1 disable

and that does not solve the problem.

The optane genie is enable53832671_308877019820814_2939731206591217664_n.jpg

0 Kudos
rbeth2
Beginner

I do not know which driver allows me to disable the raid mode on some hard drive

0 Kudos
SilentObserver64
Beginner

Hello again RBeth2. Sorry to hear it didn't work for you. Did you make sure to shrink your volume on the secondary hard drive by 100MB? It's very important that it has at least 5MB of continuous unallocated space minimum, but 100MB ​wouldn't hurt. Also, that secondary drive has to be formatted as a GPT partition. I will put two links below. One is for the instructions on how to format that drive to GPT. There are several ways to do this, using either Microsoft's method, or using 3rd party partition software. You can google the "how to partition a hard drive using GPT" query to get specific instructions on how to do this. The second link will be for the Intel driver you can try using to see if you can get it to work AFTER you convert the disk to GPT and make sire you leave 100MB of unallocated space at the end of the disk. Make sure to uninstall your previous RST software before installing the new one.   ​  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28411/Intel-Optane-Memory-User-Interface-and-Driver-for-System-Acceleration?v=t  ​  Convert MBR to GPT using Diskpart  Backup all your data and then use the DISKPART command.      Open command prompt and type in DISKPART and press Enter     Then type in list disk  (Note down the number of the disk that you want to convert to GPT)     Then type in select disk number of disk     Finally, type in convert gpt.  ​  https://www.thewindowsclub.com/convert-mbr-to-gpt-disk ​  In a previous post, I provided a link from Intel that provides you with the step by step process after your disk has been converted to GPT and the space at the end unallocated, once the new software is installed, on how to link your Optane drive, and your secondary drive together. Hopefully, we can get it to work after you do the steps above. Good luck! ​​

0 Kudos
rbeth2
Beginner

My hard drive is always in gpt. I put 100MB of unlocated and I try to see if it works and as usual I does not work.

100MB.png

1 ere etape.png2 eme etape.pngIntel Optane only turns off when I shut down and start my computer, but not when I click restart

3eme etape.png

0 Kudos
SilentObserver64
Beginner

Hmm. Almost sounds like a hardware issue, or driver issue/miscommunication between the hardware/software. I've been trying to do some research, to figure out what it might be. When you said you reinstalled windows, did you reinstall it via the UEFI method and did you install the RST driver only, during installation? I'll post a link to someone who had a similar issue as you, with an MSI board, who also was trying to enable a secondary drive. It led to another post, for someone who was having an issue with booting windows while enabling optane via the genie, but they got it to work. Maybe try their method and see if that can fix it.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=301713.0

0 Kudos
rbeth2
Beginner

I reinstall my os after verifying that oc genie and WHQL support was enabled.

I install optane memory and it still does not work

maybe reinstall a older bios version of my motherboard can be an idea?

0 Kudos
rbeth2
Beginner

I have good news!! I try to delete "optane pinning explorer" (a strange software in my computer) and after reinstall optane I do not have a problem anymore.

If I still have a problem, I warn you. Thank you a lot, you taught me a lot of things !

0 Kudos
rbeth2
Beginner

erratum the problem happens

0 Kudos
rbeth2
Beginner

but now my secondary hard drive and my intel optane is invisible

0 Kudos
SilentObserver64
Beginner

That's good we are getting further along, with better results. Try this. ​I hoped we had it resolved 100%. Uninstall Optane drivers. Reboot. Then do the steps on this link:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/cant-install-intel-rapid-storage-technology-on/2a01c680-c09b-4f2f-afc0-e4dbf686110c

Do not do this unless you are comfortable with this and know what you are doing.

Then press Windows key+r and type regedit32 and press​ enter. Then press Crtl+F and type optane and search for all keys and delete them. Do the same afterwards for intel rapid storage. This will ensure you delete all registry keys associated with the drivers. When you are done reboot, then reinstall the newest optane software that you downloaded earlier, and see if that helps.

0 Kudos
Santiago_A_Intel
Employee

Hi rbeth2,

Thank you for contacting Intel® SSD support group.

As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® Optane™ Memory.

In order to add to the answer from community members, we have some observations to the issue reported.

We have seen the SSU’s attached to community chat and the screenshot for your Disk management page, we have the following comments:

·        Your Motherboard/Processor/Chipset combination, is Optane™ Memory, please refer to the following link:  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026040.html

·        Optane™ Memory supports acceleration for your secondary drives, please refer to the following link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000027987.html

·        You can either select for acceleration for your Kingston* SUV400S37120G or any of your Seagate* Barracuda* Drives; however, your Samsung* SSD 860 EVO 500GB is not Optane™ Memory compatible.

·        To support system acceleration with Intel Optane Memory, your primary drive (Disque 2), must contain at least 5MB of continuous unallocated space at the end of the bootable drive. Intel Optane™ Memory needs the space to store configuration information and to successfully pair the accelerated drive with the memory module. Additional details on this link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023989.html

We hope you find this information helpful.

We will be looking forward for your reply.

Best regards,

Santiago A.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
rbeth2
Beginner

Hi, I noticed that when I connect a USB key to my PC, I can run Intel Optane even after rebooting my computer a few times, but when I unplugged the USB key, my hard drive and my Intel Optane memory are corrupted and I need to delete the metadata.

Maybe the configuration information put itself in my USB drive instead of my hard drive?

0 Kudos
rbeth2
Beginner
0 Kudos