Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
430 Discussions

I give up, lost my entire date drive cause of optane

DLeve4
Beginner

after month of strugguling with stability of my 1 to accelerate drive with a 32g optane stick, now the drive disapear for good. tryed again to dismantele the array in bios then i scraped my data thank u intel! my next system will be e amd i swear. a 9900K owner

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

Al,

Sorry for delayed answer.

My configuration:

NUC7i7DNHE

Windows 10 Pro (updated with the latest update)

Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB)

WD Blue 1TB HDD

Optane 16GB

So, the configuration is similar to yours. It happens to me already second time. The failure is not related to specific Bios version. In the past, it happened to me twice. First time after major Windows update and the next time after updating bios from version 0059 to 060. After this failure I'm keeping drive image before Optane is enabled. As I've mentioned, it happened

today again after bios update to version 0062. Today however, I've successfully tried other recovery method (as described in my previous post).

One thing more - I'm updating my bios using bios recovery method from Power Boot Menu (F4).

Regards

Leon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Sorry to hear about your issue. Yes, optane can be a challenge. I use a 16gb optane module and it has been working as it should. I keep it enabled. Then, when I do a backup, I disable the optane, backup the drive, then enable the optane. That way, if the drive or optane, or something goes wrong, I have a good backup of the drive. Extra work, but it keeps me out of trouble.

Doc

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Optane can be problematic and unsafe. I'm also keeping disk backup made with Optane disabled, since I got bootable disk after updating bios version. However such backup can't be done on daily base.

Today it happened again. In my NUC7i7DNHE I've updated bios to version 0062 (with Optane enabled). After bios update, I got blue screen with a message: Bootable disk not founded. This time I entered bios settings Advanced > Add-in Config > Intel Rapid Storage Technology . On Optane Volume Info I've disabled Optane. After some time (about 1 hour), I've successfully rebooted my NUC. Later I've re enabled Optane again (this time usual way from Windows).

Leon

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Interesting. Same NUC, bios update to 0062, and mine did not have a boot problem. 16gb optane with 750gb samsung hdd, W10 Pro, 16gb (2*8gb). Is there anything common here?

Doc

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Al,

Sorry for delayed answer.

My configuration:

NUC7i7DNHE

Windows 10 Pro (updated with the latest update)

Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB)

WD Blue 1TB HDD

Optane 16GB

So, the configuration is similar to yours. It happens to me already second time. The failure is not related to specific Bios version. In the past, it happened to me twice. First time after major Windows update and the next time after updating bios from version 0059 to 060. After this failure I'm keeping drive image before Optane is enabled. As I've mentioned, it happened

today again after bios update to version 0062. Today however, I've successfully tried other recovery method (as described in my previous post).

One thing more - I'm updating my bios using bios recovery method from Power Boot Menu (F4).

Regards

Leon

0 Kudos
DLeve4
Beginner

i just bought a recovery software on the net paid 109$ CDN the processus is going thru, 960gb to recovery its gonna take hours. but i see a preview of all my lost files, im going to be good. plus the price of optane stick its a lot of money for just trouble. As i said once it was working i pass from 500 mb/s to 1400 mb/sec. its jus after couple reboot it dismantele by itself. i cant take any chance anymore, just too bad.

...sory for my premetive english.

0 Kudos