FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

how to get source file (.sof) of a FPGA cyclone IV EP4CE15F17I7N?

jalon5
Beginner

Hi,

i want to get .cof file into this FPGA and programming another. i want to know if this is posible or not and how can i do it?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi @jalon5​ ,

Are you looking for steps to extract source file from flash connected to FPGA? If so

Yes, you can use the Examine feature in the Quartus® II Programmer to read back the .pof not sof file. You can then save this file and use it to program other EPCS devices.

To do so,

We have to know how board is designed( How fpga connected to it's flash chip jtag/Active serial)?

• In jtag mode use appropriate flash loader ip.
    • In Active Serial mode connect to appropriate header to use Examine feature.

OR

Are you looking for steps to program .sof file to fpga in jtag chain?

• Use auto detect feature in the Quartus® II Programmer and select device from chain and right click and load .sof and program.

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
jalon5
Beginner

hi @Anand​ 

Thank you for your answer. My problem is the first situation, I read that is imposible to program this FPGA because it have only a SRAM memory and I need a Flash memory for programming this FPGA. I find in my board what is this memory, I want to use JTAG mode to get source file and also to program another memory but I do not know how can I do it? . I can not find which are the steps and which are the terminals for JTAG mode in my FPGA, Could you tell me how i can do it?.

I am new programming an FPGA and I do not understand very well.

Regards,

jalon5

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

​Hi @jalon5​ 

Yes, we can configure your FPGA and program your configuration devices using the same JTAG interface.

method 1: The Intel FPGA Flash Loader we can establish a bridge between and Flash device.

Use the Intel FPGA Flash Loader IP core to create a dedicated FPGA image that you use only when programming a serial configuration device refer page 8 section 1.4.

method 2: JTAG Indirect Configuration File convert your FPGA image sof to jic and program the flash.

refer page 8 section 1.5.1

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/an/an370.pdf

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
jalon5
Beginner

Hi @Anand

I want to use method 2 for programming a Flash memory but I have a usb blaster programmer. I would like to use It how JTAG interface my problem is that I do not have .sof file (I have the Flash memory that want to get its .pof, .sof or .jic file to allow me to program my Flash device). I do not know how to connect my usb blaster how JTAG interface or if I can do it. could you help me how I can do it?. My goal is program a Flash memory with another Flash memory's source file with JTAG mode and this memory have to be able to work the same way with a FPGA cyclone IV EP4CE15F17I7N . I can only use Quartus II or Quartus prime and usb blaster also I want to know if I have to configure the FPGA or not.

Regards

Jalon5

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi @jalon5​ 

You can't use method 2 without .sof file.

You have to connect the usb blaster to jtag header on board if available or connect usb cable to embedded/on board usb blaster on usb port if available.(depends on board design)

1.      Have you extract source file from flash connected to FPGA? Is it .pof file?

Steps to extract

·        Create simple project sfl/pfl based on your flash device configuration.

·        Program sfl/pfl.sof to fpga using jtag interface tools-<programmer->auto detect->right click on device and change the file to sfl.sof.

·        Click on auto detect option, now you should see your flash device. Enable examine and click on start.

·        Save the file.

2.      To program the file extracted same steps.

First program sfl/pfl.sof to fpga use auto detect and change the file to extracted file and program.

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos