Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7432 Discussions

DHCP issues when moving wireless card between laptops.

BOrdn
Beginner

We have an entire environment of laptops using the Intel Dual Band WirelessAC 8260 wireless card.

Very rarely we have a network card that will stop responding and assign itself an IP address that is already in use.

We remove this wireless card from the inside of the laptop and install in other laptop. It immediately sends a DHCP request with the same IP address.

My questions are as follows -

1. Reinstalling the driver makes no difference. Is there a bios or other hardware on the card itself that has memory or could be updated?
  2. Anyone seen this issue?
  3. Anyway I can do some diagnostics?

As I write this question, I do believe it is a combination of some issues on this site only. But curious if anyone had an issue like this.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Deal with the router. The router is holding the MAC address of the card. So, sign into the router, release the IP or MAC, and then turn on the laptop with the wireless card.

Doc

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BOrdn, Besides the information provided by Al.Hill, we would like to add that BIOS updates are provided by Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs). We recommend contacting your computer manufacturer for more information about this. We have not seen this issue, but we recommend following the steps provided on this thread and see if the issue persists. Now, when installing or upgrading wireless hardware, it is important to review the following information: 1. As each country may have different regulatory requirements, before you install/change the Intel® Wireless Adapter in a system, you must contact the system manufacturer to determine if the Intel® Wireless Adapters you plan to install is approved for use in your system and country. You are required to follow the manufacturer's post-approval requirements. 2. Since you have already performed the integration, it is also important to understand that it may not work due to hardware or software compatibility issues or dependencies. Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos