Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel 8265 dual band wireless lan speed is slow

rbmanian75
Beginner

Hi,

In my hades canyon the wireless lan speed is very slow. I am only getting 100mbps speed where as in my macbook pro i get 900mbps with the same wifi network.

Any help would be appreciated

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello rbmanian75, Thank you for posting on this Community. First, we recommend checking that your unit is running the latest BIOS, wireless driver, and operating system updates available for your unit. 1. BIOS version 0054 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28642/BIOS-Update-HNKBLi70-86A-?product=126143 2. Intel® Wireless Technology–Based Driver for Intel® NUC Kits https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28591/Intel-Wireless-Technology-Based-Driver-for-Intel-NUC-Kits?product=126143 If you are already running this BIOS version, wireless driver and the latest Windows* updates, please run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report to this thread to gather more information about your setup. 1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View. 3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file on your computer. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
rbmanian75
Beginner

Thank You for the reply.

I am attaching the SSU report as asked.

Please take a look at it and help me in solving the issue.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello rbmanian75, Thank you for attaching the Intel® SSU report. We were checking the report and noticed that the BIOS version, wireless driver version, and operating system are up to date. Since they are up to date, this wireless performance issue could be caused by the network configuration. Please follow these recommendations: 1. Test the unit on a different wireless network to see if the issue persists. 2. Try selecting other wireless settings that could improve this performance (e.g. 2.4 GHz vs. 5 GHz). Here you can check the following support article that describes the recommended settings for AC 802.11ac Connectivity. Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678.html 3. It is worth noting that the maximum speed for Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 is 867 Mbps. https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/94150/intel-dual-band-wireless-ac-8265.html Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
rbmanian75
Beginner

HI,

I tried different wireless network also. It is the same problem. I have the recommended settings as described in .the article.

It is not the problem with a net work. Because i have tested with other two macbookpro and they are all giving 900mbps speed. But only with hanes canyon is it not going beyond 100mbps.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello rbmanian75, Thank you for your response. We would like to gather more information to continue troubleshooting this issue: 1. Is the maximum speed the unit achieves in other networks 100 Mbps, too? 2. Are you using Wi-Fi extenders or repeaters to connect the unit? 3. Is it possible to connect only the Intel® NUC to your network and check its performance? We recommend: Changing the Power Management options in Windows* to Maximum Performance: You may follow these steps: Setting Power Management for Intel® Wireless Adapters https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005879/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Please let us know if the issue persists. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
rbmanian75
Beginner

1. Is the maximum speed the unit achieves in other networks 100 Mbps, too?

Please see the attached screenshot i can only achieve maximum of 200Mbps when connected in 5Ghz

2. Are you using Wi-Fi extenders or repeaters to connect the unit?

No. I am connected to main WiFi Router which is Netgear Orbi RBR50

3. Is it possible to connect only the Intel® NUC to your network and check its performance?

Yes i tested it and it is the same result

Changing the Power Management options in Windows* to Maximum Performance:

Yes it is set to Maximum Performance

I have connected my 2014 Mid macbook pro to the same wifi network and it can achieve 900Mbps

I am not sure whats wrong with this,

I can see in the internet people are complaining about this issue and some of them upgraded to 9265 and they have no problem.

Please advise us on solving this issue.

Thanks

0 Kudos
rbmanian75
Beginner

According to this https://www.reddit.com/r/intelnuc/comments/9snvp0/can_you_replace_hades_canyon_wireless_card/ it seems to be that most of the people are having problem.

Can i replace the 8265 with 9260. Is it user replaceable? Please advise

Thanks

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello rbmanian75, Thank you for your response. We do not recommend upgrading or replacing wireless hardware due to country-specific legal regulations, hardware limitations (e.g. the unit may be limited to only specific wireless adapters), or driver limitations. If your Intel® Wireless Adapter that was pre-installed on your unit is faulty, we may replace the whole unit. However, we would like to do further research on this issue in order to better assist you. We will get back to you soon. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
rbmanian75
Beginner

Thank you for the replay. I will wait for a reply from you. Please get back to me as soon as possible.

Thank You

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello rbmanian75, We would like to have one more piece of information. Could you please post the tool/application you are using to monitor your Wi-Fi or a screenshot showing the difference in performance while using the Intel® NUC? Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
rbmanian75
Beginner

I am using this tool https://totusoft.com/lanspeed for measuring local lan wireless speed.

Here is the screenshots comparing wireless lan speed performance for intel Hades Canyon and apple macbook pro

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello rbmanian75, Thank you for your response. We will get back to you soon. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

I would like to share my results, see image attached.

This is just Hades Canyon running on Windows 10 and with latest BIOS/Firmware and Drivers

LANSpeed.png

0 Kudos
rbmanian75
Beginner

Something wrong here. You are writing to local hard disk folder. I think. That’s why you are getting this much speed. It is beyond the wireless adopter maximum theoretical speed. Try to select a network share from other computer in the same wireless network or to a NAS connected in the same network. Your results made me to wow. Because there is no such wireless speed can be achieved by any adopter in the current market.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello rbmanian75, We will review these steps and get back to you soon. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager
Hi rbmanian75, I really dont know how the LAN Speed Test application works and this is the first time I try this, I would prefer to stay away from adding more complexity to this test by including other devices. Are you having any specific issue with the WiFi speed? Can you test with a different tool? Hopefully an online tool and excluding additional devices such as testing a NAS of a remote file system. Thanks, Ronny G
0 Kudos
rbmanian75
Beginner
Never mind. i returned the unit. thank you
0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager
I wish I had been able to help you, too sad that you returned the product. I hope we have the opportunity to turn this situation around in the future. Regards, Ronny G
0 Kudos