Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14502 Discussions

i7-8700 has only 2 cores/4 threads running should be 6/12

JGILL18
Beginner
  • i7-8700
  • Windows 10 64-bit
  • ASRock H370M PRO4 LGA1151 - Intel H370 - DDR4 - Quad CrossFireX - SATA3&USB3.1 - M.2 - GbE - MicroATX Motherboard

ISSUE:

• in Task Manager/Performance/CPU, only 2 cores/4 Logical Processors
  • Same result in SPECCY
  • Intel Processor Diagnostic tool (64-bit) shows 2 physical cores, 4 logical core
  • Device Manager/Processor lists 12 cores @ rated speed

QUESTIONs:

• Why?
  • How to fix this?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JGILL18
Beginner

IGNORE THIS: is a test "answer" for me to check process for accessing answers. Thank you. (Newbie here)

0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee
Hello JGILL18, Thank you for posting on the Intel Community. The reason why you are only seeing 2 cores / 4 threads in the task manager could be related to the BIOS settings; please try the following steps that might help you fixing the issue: 1. Load BIOS default settings. If you have customized any BIOS configuration for a specific reason, keep in mind that you have to make the changes again. 2. Make sure you have all the processor cores enabled in the BIOS. Here is the link of the manual of your motherboard to know where to find the Active Processor cores in the BIOS: http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/H370M%20Pro4.pdf (4.6.1 CPU configuration Page 59). 3. After following the prior step, please check if you are able to see all the cores in the task manager. 4. If the BIOS steps did not work, go to the core settings in Windows*. a. Type “msconfig” into the Windows Search box and hit enter. b. Select the “boot” tab and go to advanced options. c. Check the box under the number of processors and select the number of cores you want to use. d. Select OK and then apply. NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there. I hope this helps. Oscar A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Juan9
Beginner

Oscar

I have a problem as to when i install windows 10 on my intel core i7 8700 cpu and Asus rog strix z390f gaming motherboard as soon as i set the bios to all cores it actually bluescreens and i can only load and use 2 cores is there any way to know if it is a hardware issue or a software issue?

Cause I don't want to chuck the cpu away it seems to be working at the moment with two cores but cant play games on it properly and i have treid enabling all cores in msconfig and no luck only changed it in bios and also no luck what so ever.

I would also love some advice please bud not meaning to steel another guys post but I'm also looking for a answer.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Update your bios.   It if still fails, contact ASUS for support.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee
Hello JGILL18, I would like to know if you were able to fix the problem by following the steps I provided. Regards, Oscar A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JGILL18
Beginner
i hot it fixed just before your response hit used administrative showed only two cores available i down-selected to one rebooted showed only one selected but showed the full six available selected all six rebooted all six cores/12 threads running haves saved your process in my handbook of solutions for future reference as nevessary thank you J T Gillick
0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee
Hello JGILL18, Thank you for the update. I am glad to hear that you were able to activate all the processor cores by following the steps provided. Best regards, Oscar A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos