Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

After removing Optane, HDD is only visible in BIOS, but not in Windows Disk management

CShot
Novice

Yesterday I got a Samsung EVO 970 and I played around with it for some bit. A while later, I wanted to change the M2 slot so I swapped it with my Intel Optane, which I used to boost a 2TB HDD (not my primary drive). A couple of minutes later I realised that the drive was gone, and Optane was now showing up in Disk Management. I tried creating a partition from it (which was probably extremly stupid) and then, reinstalling the software, but I kept getting the same message (No compatible disk). I even tried reinstalling Windows, but to no avail. My 2TB drive is no longer accesible.

I'm thinking that this happend because I took out the Optane module and put it into another M2 slot. I tried putting it back where it was before, but I guess I did it too late, because earlier I created a partition from the module.

I have an option in my BIOS to Reset to Non-Optane (my mobo is a Z370-H) but it also says that my 2TB drive is detected as 1 of the 2 disks paired (the other being Optane) and that if I reset it, all data will be lost. Unfortunately I cannot do that, as I have a ton of work files on that drive.

What am I supposed to do now? Am I completely locked out of that drive?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
CShot
Novice

I managed to find a solution by myself. No recovery software worked, and I was about to reset the link with Optane, hoping that it I would be able to recover my data after data. Hopefully I didn't, because I wouldn't have been able to.

Long story short, I got an USB HDD Rack. The hard drive was instantly discovered, I got my data back and then I reset the link. Everything seems to work fine now.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Santiago_A_Intel
Employee

Hi CShot,

Thank you for contacting Intel® SSD support group with your request for assistance with your Intel® Optane™ Memory.

Since we don’t have sufficient details about your system, we are requiring with your cooperation to provide us with some information about it. To do this, Intel® has available, the Intel® System Support Utility for Windows*; you’ll be able to download it on the following link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

·        Please download the software.

·        When finished downloading it, open it and follow instructions

·        Please attach the SSU Log text file obtained on your next your reply.

To help you further with your request, It will be very helpful to receive from you, a screenshot of the “Disk Management” of windows, showing all your HDDs and partitions.

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Santiago A.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
CShot
Novice

I managed to find a solution by myself. No recovery software worked, and I was about to reset the link with Optane, hoping that it I would be able to recover my data after data. Hopefully I didn't, because I wouldn't have been able to.

Long story short, I got an USB HDD Rack. The hard drive was instantly discovered, I got my data back and then I reset the link. Everything seems to work fine now.

0 Kudos