FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5921 Discussions

Bare metal access to HPS GPIO pins

MCOUNSELL
New Contributor I

Hi,

Do I need anything to init the HPS GPIO before I start using it from a bare metal application?

I start debugging from DS5 and it never gets past alt_setbits_word()

Does the FPGA have to be initialised before hand?? Or do the HPS GPIO work regardless of the FPGA programming status?

Doubt I'll get any answers/help ---- p***ing into the wind here...

#define GPIO_SPAN 0x1000 // 4 KB 4096DECIMAL #define GPIO0_BASE_ADDRESS 0xFF208000 #define GPIO1_BASE_ADDRESS 0xFF209000 #define GPIO2_BASE_ADDRESS 0xFF20A000   #define gpio_swporta_dr 0x0 // 32 RW 0x0 Port A Data Register #define gpio_swporta_ddr 0x4 // 32 RW 0x0 Port A Data Direction Register     int main(void) {   alt_setbits_word( GPIO1_BASE_ADDRESS + gpio_swporta_ddr, USER_IO_DIR ); alt_setbits_word( GPIO1_BASE_ADDRESS + gpio_swporta_dr, BIT_LED );   while(1) { puts("!!!Hello World!!!"); /* prints !!!Hello World!!! */ }   return EXIT_SUCCESS; }

0 Kudos
3 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find this design? or this is your own design?

I recommend that you go through this user guide on how to set up and debug using the ARM DS-5:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_bm.pdf

Regards.

0 Kudos
MCOUNSELL
New Contributor I

HI,

The alt_setbits_word lines came from an example of code. I can't remember what..... it was some example regarding a switch and a LED..... seems super super simple but does not work... I must have something wrong?

Mike

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

I see, may I ask is there any error code? Or any booting issue?

Regards.

0 Kudos