Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Intel Driver & Support Assistant opens the Chrome window on login - how to stop that?

JGood17
Beginner

Windows 10, brand new laptop, set to scan weekly or monthly makes no difference. Thanks for any help, sorry if this is the wrong board there doesn't seem to be an appropriate one!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello Everybody

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community.

Looking the behavior that you are having I would like to let you know that this has been reported by other fellow community members, also we will provide a fix for this issue with our next scheduled release.

Reference link:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004LWwgf/after-updating-drivers-intel-dsa-opens-my-web-browser-on-every-boot?language=en_US

If you have more inquiries about this behavior please refer to the link above.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Leonardo C.                        

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Sounds like a chrome problem to me. It does not happen with firefox.

Try changing your default browser to edge.

Doc

0 Kudos
JGood17
Beginner

Hello, thank you so much. I changed it to Edge, rebooted, same result but in an Edge window. If you have any further tips that might help, please let me know! Below some further details ref. what I've tried so far.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

This forum used to have a 'General' section but does not now, so I understand why you had trouble finding a place to post your question.

Launching the default browser is an automatic start-up behavior with the 'Intel Driver & Support Assistant' program.

Windows 10 has a list of programs that start automatically. You can disable programs on this list to prevent them starting after boot-up.

STEP ONE

After boot-up, press CTRL-SHIFT-ESC to bring up the Task Manager Window.

STEP TWO

Select the 'Start-up' tab on that window.

STEP THREE

If 'Intel Driver & Support Assistant' is on that list of start-up programs, left-click on it to highlight it and then click the 'Disable' button at the bottom of the window to disable the program from automatic start-up.

If you want to launch the program manually, you can find it at any time by typing 'intel driver' into the text box at the bottom of the Windows screen, next to the button where you shut down the PC.

0 Kudos
JGood17
Beginner

Hello, thank you so much I'd forgotten that way to access startup items. I checked shell:startup for a shortcut, none present. I have now checked that list, it's not there either. I also checked Task Scheduler and the task list matches that on my own laptop so I don't think it was anything else. Any other tips you can offer would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I couldn't find any way to change its settings. The only other thing I can suggest is to remove the program, since it is not an essential part of Windows.

Type 'programs' into the text box at the bottom of your windows screen to find the tool for adding and removing programs. From the list of programs that displays on this window, find 'Intel® Driver & Support Assistant'. Right-click on it and slect Uninstall.

0 Kudos
JGood17
Beginner

Well, ok. I'll sit tight until they update and fix it. Could do with a couple of extra config options anyway. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello Everybody

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community.

Looking the behavior that you are having I would like to let you know that this has been reported by other fellow community members, also we will provide a fix for this issue with our next scheduled release.

Reference link:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004LWwgf/after-updating-drivers-intel-dsa-opens-my-web-browser-on-every-boot?language=en_US

If you have more inquiries about this behavior please refer to the link above.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Leonardo C.                        

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation