Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16593 Discussions

Hi, Have been able to add the qsys ADC module to the project but on final compilation the flow summary reports 0/1 ADC blocks in use even after I have selected all ports ANA1IN1 to ADC1IN8 in the qsys window.

AKohl3
Beginner

From what i can tell the ADC module only needs a command to select which port to sample so how do i make pin assignments to confirm the ADC in use!  

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SreekumarR_G_Intel

Hello there ,

Here attached the screen shot and the modfied design file with ADC block utilization mentioned in the compliation report.

As of understood from the design you provided , quartus is optimizing the ADC block since it is no where used in the design.

In the modified design i instantiated the ADC input and clock as Input port which restrict the quartus to optimize the same.

ADC_Block.PNG

Hope helps ,

Thank you ,

Regards,

Sree

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
29 Replies
SreekumarR_G_Intel

I am not following you , Hope you are using Max 10 right ?Can you kindly give more info for the same ? Would it possible to share the design ?

Thank you ,

Regards,

Sree

0 Kudos
AKohl3
Beginner

I'll try and re phrase the question- How do I assign the ADC1IN1-8 to ports on my top level design?

0 Kudos
AKohl3
Beginner

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
AKohl3
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
SreekumarR_G_Intel

Hello ,

I get chance to look your design , Looks part you selected is not support the ADC features. Only SA and DA parts supports the ADC. Here is the link for device overview for page 5 mentioned in the part number selection.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/max-10/m10_overview.pdf

when I open the IP in platform designer, i am getting error as mentioned "Error: max_ADC.modular_adc_0: The selected device part number 10M16SCU169I7G does not support ADC"

Can you use either SA or DA part to use the ADC feature ?

Thank you ,

Regards,

Sree

0 Kudos
AKohl3
Beginner

If you look at the above screenshot of the flow summary - it clearly shows a SAU device and also shows the no. of ADC blocks in the device but does not show it as used for the design even though the qsys file compiles!

0 Kudos
SreekumarR_G_Intel

But the design you send me as per below screen shot , with having error you wont be able to generate the HDL with error in qsys.

which one i should be believe your design files or your screen shot ? please clarify

scope_max10_wrongpart.png

0 Kudos
AKohl3
Beginner

I can confirm the right part number being used- SAU169I7G. If you use the right part number, can i see the flow summary on compilation and if depicts ADC block being used?

0 Kudos
SreekumarR_G_Intel

Here is the screen shot of compilation report attached.

One thing I noticed that you dont have a RTL for enable the channel or reading the ADC channels , I added a test logic directly enabled the channel "0" , Channel Valid and Channel start. After that I could see in ADC resources in compilation report. I think since the implemented RTL is not using ADC /enable the ADC Quartus is optimization is not instantiating the module.

Sorry , I dont know how to attach the file here ,Here is the added logic in the top module for your reference ,

command_channel <= "00000";

command_valid <= '1';

command_start <= '1';

command_ready <= '1';

process (P_I_CLK100,response_valid)

begin

if rising_edge(P_I_CLK100) and response_valid = '1' then

data_to_display <= response_data;

end if;

end process;

Thank you,

Regards,

Sreescope_max10_top_adcblock.png

0 Kudos
AKohl3
Beginner

I added the above suggested logic but to no success. I even tried setting up a new project to double ensure the right part selection from the beginning, however I do not see the ADC module invoked neither the addition of the ADC pins in the final summary. Attached is the screenshot and top level module. I hope this is not a Quartus standard versus lite issue? And if the issue is not software related, can you send me the above depicted correctly compiled project+project files from your end?

0 Kudos
AKohl3
Beginner

I added the above suggested logic but to no success. I even tried setting up a new project to double ensure the right part selection from the beginning, however I do not see the ADC module invoked neither the addition of the ADC pins in the final summary. Attached is the screenshot and top level module.

0 Kudos
AKohl3
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
AKohl3
Beginner

I hope this is not a Quartus standard versus lite issue?

0 Kudos
AKohl3
Beginner

And if the issue is not software related, can you send me the above depicted correctly compiled project+project files from your end?

0 Kudos
SreekumarR_G_Intel

Here is the attachment of qar file .Can you try and let me know ?

Thank you ,

Regards,

Sree

0 Kudos
AKohl3
Beginner

Hi,

This is a project created by a blogger 'maximator' which once I edit to my design plans removes the ADC block for some reason. Can you send the project file specific to this query, please?

0 Kudos
SreekumarR_G_Intel

I dont get you . I modified the project file which you sent to me . Please be clear what you really looking for . All the files related to the project file is already there in attachment.

Thanks ,

Regards,

Sree

0 Kudos
AKohl3
Beginner

That is not my project at all! Once I open it in quartus the following screenshot shows the different files similar tot the maximator project I mentioned. Can you please ensure the right project files?Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
SreekumarR_G_Intel

hmm..Can you attach your project file again (Full project .gar format)?

Thank you ,

Regards,

Sree

0 Kudos
AKohl3
Beginner
0 Kudos