Items with no label
3335 Discussions

What is the accuracy of the Intel realsense D415 depth camera?What is the error?

fwang22
Beginner

I want to know the depth camera accuracy of the Intel realsense d415.This is very important for my ability to capture depth or 3D point clouds.Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

A MinZ of '0' is not practical to use. The tuning guide points out that "the D4xx cameras are currently focused at 50 cm to infinity, so will start to go out of focus well below 20 cm. Also, for really near objects that are not flat, like a wall, the views from the left and right cameras may be different at really close range and will therefore not give any depth range".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I hope that the link below will answer your question. Thanks!

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D70P0000068XpWSAU

0 Kudos
fwang22
Beginner

Hi MartyG,

In other words, the closer the distance, the better the accuracy. But what about resolution?Does the larger the resolution, the larger the measurement error?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Pages 5 and 6 of Intel's camera tuning guide state that higher resolution increases precision and lowering the resolution decreases depth precision.

https://realsense.intel.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/63/BKM-For-Tuning-D435-and-D415-Cameras-Webinar_Rev3.pdf

​There are sometimes reasons for wanting to use lower resolution despite this, such as reducing data bandwidth in the USB cable or reducing the camera's minimum distance (MinZ) without using a disparity shift.

0 Kudos
fwang22
Beginner

Can we say that accuracy is low, the collected point cloud relative to the color image is not accurate?I set d415 is 640*480,60fps.min z is 0.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

A MinZ of '0' is not practical to use. The tuning guide points out that "the D4xx cameras are currently focused at 50 cm to infinity, so will start to go out of focus well below 20 cm. Also, for really near objects that are not flat, like a wall, the views from the left and right cameras may be different at really close range and will therefore not give any depth range".

0 Kudos