Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

For security should the Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 driver/utility be uninstalled?

JColl7
Beginner

Hi everyone,

According to a recent Intel Security advisory; the Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 driver should be uninstalled since it is no longer being maintained. The advisory For Windows 10 version 1809 and later offers the functionality within it:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/security-center/advisory/intel-sa-00243.html

I am asking since every time I uninstall and reboot; it’s back. If I run Windows Update; it’s also back. While I have followed the steps listed in the following thread; I have an entry for it in Add/Remove Programs even though I uninstalled it from there and it is no longer running:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490LGoSAM/uninstall-intel-turbo-boost-max-technology-30?language=en_US

Was I correct following the advice in the advisory? Is there a cleaner way to remove it? Namely if we are meant to uninstall it; surely it should be easier for us not to inadvertently re-introduce vulnerable software back onto our systems?

My CPU is an Intel Core i9 7980XE installed in an Intel X299 motherboard. I have Windows 10 version 1809 installed. Please let me know if I can provide any further information.

Thanks in advance for your time.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello JColl7

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community.

The affected versions are Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 driver version 1.0.0.1035 and before if you have these version you can try the following steps:

Go to Windows Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program, and uninstall the Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 software.

•          You can go into Windows* Device Manager and verify the driver is listed and uninstall the driver.

1.        Open device manager.

2.        Click on the System devices.

3.        Right Intel(R) Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 Driver.

4.        Click on properties.

5.        Go to the driver tab and click uninstall.

6.        Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.

In addition, you can contact the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) of the motherboard for the available driver for the system

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Leonardo C.                        

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello JColl7

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community.

The affected versions are Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 driver version 1.0.0.1035 and before if you have these version you can try the following steps:

Go to Windows Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program, and uninstall the Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 software.

•          You can go into Windows* Device Manager and verify the driver is listed and uninstall the driver.

1.        Open device manager.

2.        Click on the System devices.

3.        Right Intel(R) Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 Driver.

4.        Click on properties.

5.        Go to the driver tab and click uninstall.

6.        Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.

In addition, you can contact the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) of the motherboard for the available driver for the system

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Leonardo C.                        

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
JColl7
Beginner

Hi LeoC,

Apologies for not responding sooner. Many thanks for your response.

Your steps worked for me but the Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 driver kept on being re-installed and thus undoing the good work you advised to do.

In the end; I followed your steps and then followed the steps posted by the user RWolf3 in the thread I linked to above. This removed the driver permanently.

From RWolf3:

"Microsoft of course wants you to use Add/Remove Programs which I can't do because this isn't IN there, which is why I needed help. I just made a backup of the registry, then deleted all of the ITBM folders, and every registry key that had Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 in it. Then took ownership of Intel's folder in the DriverStore\FileRepository and deleted it. Then rebooted and it's gone."

Thanks very much for your help. This question is resolved.

0 Kudos